Chapter 17

XVII

DAKEN

Day One. Twelve Days Remain.

Temporary Infirmary, Morningstar Keep

"No, no, no. Definitely not," Meddy said, blocking the door to the infirmary. "There is no way I am letting you back in."

"Oh, come on. It's been a bit. He probably doesn't even remember what happened!" Daken said hopefully.

Meddy raised an eyebrow. "Are you kidding? You think anyone is going to forget you storming out like you didn't get the toy you wanted?" she said with a laugh. "I know I sure won't."

Daken put his hands on Meddy's shoulders. "I lost control for a second in there. I know that. But I'm not messing around this time," he said, his voice lowering. "I need to talk to him. It's important. Please trust me."

"This is different. I think I like this Daken," she said with a soft smile.

He fought the urge to grin and ruin it. "Please, Meddy, I can only go a few more minutes before I have to go make fun of someone. Being serious is terrible," he said, a hint of a smile still sneaking across his face despite his best efforts.

"Fine, I'll let you in. But on two conditions," Meddy said, raising a pair of fingers.

Daken groaned. "What are the conditions?"

"Demand one, you come back to see me for a full check-up. I don't know how you were suddenly jumping around after the beating Faust gave you, and I'm not sure I want to know. But your body isn't done healing and I've got a treatment that will at least slow down how quickly you're able to kill yourself."

"Fine," Daken agreed.

Then Meddy studied Daken's face carefully. "Demand two. Answer me one question: Why didn't you tell him that he's-"

"Because he isn't," Daken answered quickly.

"Is that seriously what you've been telling yourself?" Meddy asked. "You don't think any of that history matters just because of some little technality you're clinging to?"

Daken threw his hands into the air and began to pace back and forth. "So you've got all the answers, huh? You're just going to fix all my problems for me with a group hug? I have nothing in common with him," he said with irritation.

Meddy sighed. "You have everything in common. You know that. He'd agree." She licked her thumb and wiped at a bit of dried blood on Daken's cheek. "He could use you right now. You could use him."

"You don't get it," he said, tugging on his hair. "You say that, and it sounds all warm and fuzzy, but that's not how it is."

"Why are you so angry with him?" she asked, stopping Daken in his tracks. "You were ready to fight to the death just to give him a chance at life."

"It's not anger. I'm not angry. I'm... I'm jealous." Daken looked at Meddy, a hint of sadness in his eyes. Then walked past her. "But you already asked your question," he said, opening the door to the infirmary and walking inside.

Uriel blinked with surprise as Daken entered the room. "Oh. It's... you, Apostle," he managed while trying to subtly look around for Meddy so that he might have some kind of witness for whatever came next.