Chapter 20

XX

URIEL

Day Three. Ten Days Remain.

Training Gymnasium, Morningstar Keep

Uriel wrung his hands nervously as he stood beside Kat and Isaac in the large gymnasium. "I wish this combat instructor would just get here already so we can get this over with," he whispered.

"Look at those weapons over there," Kat said, ignoring Uriel. "Have you ever seen something so beautiful?" she said, eyeing the rack of silverwood armaments in the corner of the room hungrily.

Isaac sighed, his head sinking. "Bored, bored, bored. So very bored," he muttered, twiddling his thumbs in irritation. "I thought if anything was going to keep me entertained, it would be the end of the world. But here we are, sitting, doing nothing. That's the Brigade efficiency I've heard so much about."

Kat and Uriel were each outfitted in their full combat gear. Isaac, however, to all appearances was planning to undergo his rigous combat training in a horrendous, lime-green tracksuit accented by a pair of white and green sweatbands around his wrists and head. The three would-be warriors were arranged in a line at the center of the room, anxiously shifting back and forth as they waited for the trainer. The Brigade training room was a sprawling complex, with equipment layering every corner. There were massive weights that seemed too large for any human being to reasonably lift, spinning sparring dummies armed with lethal weapons that could slice an ill-fate initiate in two if they made a wrong move, and a network of complex ropes and platforms precariously positioned overhead that served as a life-or-death agility course. Racks of weapons lined the walls, as did countless sets of scarred and punctured practice armor. And in the distance, fully-fledged Shepherds darted around mock-combat environments as they viciously attempted to overcome their opponents through guile and physical perfection.

Uriel's eyebrows raised in surprise as Daken confidently strolled through the doorway. The room was silent except for the measured tap of the Apostle's boots on the gym floor as he walked across the room. He walked over to the line of students and quickly moved down the row, studying each of them without a word until he reached Isaac. "Is there a reason you've chosen to avoid wearing any kind of protective gear, Initiate Isaac?" Daken asked, raising an eyebrow.

"That's not true, sir!" Isaac shouted, standing stiffly at attention. "I am wearing protective gear, sir."

Looking confused, Daken scanned Isaac up and down again quickly. "And what protective gear would that be, Initiate? A polo?"

"I am wearing a cup, sir!" Isaac shouted in response, continuing to stand at attention, but barely suppressing a grin.

Daken, Uriel and Kat groaned simultaneously. "I'll... take your word for it," Daken managed to reply. He continued walking down the line, giving a slight nod to Uriel as he passed. Then he walked out in front of the group. "So, you made it through Jonathan's books," he remarked with a knowing smile. "At this point, each and every one of you knows what the Brigade represents. You know our mission. You know our enemies." Daken paused for a moment as he pulled a small piece of chalk from his pocket. "But today isn't about ideology or theory. None of that soft stuff here. Today is about practicality. My specialty," he said with a grin.

At this, Isaac's hand shot up from a student in line. Daken begrudging pointed and motioned for him to speak. "Excuse me, but... who are you, exactly?" Isaac asked. "Other than that guy who nearly bled out in the last fight?"