Chapter 37

XXXVII

URIEL

Day Six. Seven Days Remain.

Safehouse Chamber, Haven Chapel

"We may have only known each only for a short while, but I'm going to miss you all very dearly just the same. Life or death battles can tend to do that," Amos said happily as he walked alongside the Black Cats to the transport pod.

Uriel rubbed his sore shoulders gingerly. "Yeah, I'd probably miss all that free yard work too," he muttered under his breath.

"You know what I'm not going to miss? Checking my drinks to make sure that nobody's slipped any industrial fuel into them," Kat growled.

Amos grinned. "Oh Kat, I think I'll miss you most of all," he said, walking over and hugging her tightly. "Just like your mother in all the right ways."

Kat squirmed furiously for a moment, desperately trying to break free of the bear hug before giving up at last. "Yeah, yeah. I'll miss you too, you crazy old geezer," she said with a defeated sigh.

"Is that what I think it is?" Isaac asked excitedly as his gaze settled on a small flask attached to Amos's hip.

"Ah, yes, of course! How could I forget about young Isaac?" Amos said, unhitching the smooth, metal container. "A little batch of my special lemonade to keep you company on the ride back," he said, thrusting it into Isaac's hands. "And, of course, the secret recipe," he added quietly as he slid a small piece of paper into Isaac's coat pocket.

A bright grin spread across Isaac's face as he looked down at the lemonade. "Fisher, you've made me happier than you could ever imagine," he said with an ecstatic look.

Amos turned to Uriel and put his hands on his shoulders. "And now, you," he said gently. "Uriel, your father was like a son to me. I saw in him great things, and I see the same in you. But I'll tell you just what I told him so many years ago: there are moments in every life that separate great men from those forgotten," he squeezed Uriel's shoulders lightly. "When your moment comes, make the right choice."

"Thank you, sir," Uriel stammered, blushing slightly as he regained his composure. "I'll do my best."

"I'd expect nothing less," Amos replied, a broad smile brightening his face. He turned to Artemis as the transport door opened, patting the woman's back. "And you? You go easy on those kids. They're a good bunch."

Artemis nodded in agreement as she tossed her equipment bag into the pod. "I suppose for a mission where we all almost got eaten by a giant half-human monstrosity, they could've done worse," she remarked with a laugh.

Isaac shook Uriel gleefully. "You hear that? She likes us, she really likes us!" he cheered sarcastically.

"I said 'I suppose,'" Artemis began, quickly backpedalling from the praise. "I don't know, maybe you could've done worse. I have no way of knowing for sure."

"Oh, c'mon. All this tough criminal stuff is just the crunchy exterior to your soft, gooey center. You're just a big old softie who secretly wants a hug, aren't you?" Isaac teased, ruffling Artemis' hair and then extending his arms.

Artemis' blade shot out of her arm with lightning speed. "Sit down. Now," she said, sharpening the blade against her bootheel.

Isaac raised his arms in surrender as he and the rest of the Black Cats walked over to their seats. "Fine, fine," he moaned. "But we really do need to work on your communication skills."