Chapter 75

XXXXXXXV

URIEL

Solstice

Transportation Chamber, Morningstar Keep

Artemis cursed as the last of yet another wave of Nephilim finally fell. "We're not going to be able to keep this up much longer, Sully," she barked as their dishelved scientist frantically adjusted aggressively blinking knobs or dials. "How much longer?"

"The portal is up!" Solomon shouted over the dimming sounds of battle. "They should have entered already. What are they doing, making speeches?" He scowled. "And don't call me Sully!"

Kat cracked her knuckles and pointed to the laboratory's entrance as new enemy ranks began to approach the makeshift barricades they had slotted in place. "Whatever they're doing, they're going to have finish quick. We can't keep fighting. We're already getting sloppy."

"If we fail, we've doomed Eden," Meddy said, wiping the dark ichor that now covered her scapel off on the white of her coat. "We're going to keep as many alive as we can. So we keep fighting. No matter the cost."

Rovo barked in agreement, despite the fact he had been hiding beneath a stack of Solomon's books for the majority of the fight.

The Nephilim roared as they beat their fists against the toppled bookcases, desks and chairs that had been hurried thrown in their way. Shepherds dispatched the few that managed to slip through, but it was clear that any effort at isolating enemies would soon be overwhelmed by their sheer numbers.

"You got any fancy inventions left, boy genius?" Artemis called after Solomon, fending off a sloppy swing from an invader. "This isn't going our way."

"I'm giving absolutely everything to keep this device running, there's nothing else to throw at-" His voice cut off suddenly as Jacob's Ladder spit out a small readout sheet covered with otherwise indecipherable notations. He squinted, checking it twice to make sure that he wasn't simply imagining things. Then he beamed a huge smile. "No, there's more inventions. But we're not going to need them."

Uriel and Faustus shot into the transportation chamber in a turbulent hail of rogue sparks. Jacob's Ladder lit ablaze, its structures pushed beyond their limits by this final exertion of might. The travelers sizzled as they landed on the ground. For a moment, every warrior's face filled with relief. Then, as Faustus raised his head, they turned to fear.

"You!" Artemis snarled, whipping around on her heels as she charged the wide-eyed interloper. She rammed her shoulder just beneath his chin, sending him tumbling backwards. Her sword gleamed brilliantly as she lifted it above Faustus' head. "What did you do with Eli?"

Fighting off the waves of nausea from the rocky return to Eden, Uriel sprinted over to Faustus' side and blocked Artemis' blade with his own. "Artemis, I know this doesn't make any sense. But this is Faustus. He's not our enemy, not anymore. Eli gave his life for us both to make it back here." His weary sword began to falter beneath Artemis' strength. "All I can do is ask you to trust me. Look at him."

She glared at Uriel as Kat, Meddy and Solomon made their way to her side. Then she looked back at Faustus. "Irises," she gasped, drawing back her blade. "When did he get irises?"

"Then he did it," Meddy murmured, unsure whether she felt excitement or terror. "Daken used his Bloodmoon to cure Faust." She looked at Faustus, her gaze fluctuating between the trained, analytical eye of a surgeon and the comforting warmth of a concerned doctor. "Faustus, I mean," she corrected herself, the former name, however similar, clearly wounding the still-reeling former adversary.