Chapter 68

XXXXXXVIII

URIEL

Day Thirteen.

The Funeral, Morningstar Keep

Uriel and Kat traded uncomfortable glances as they walked alongside Daken and Artemis towards the small courtyard where the funeral ceremony was to be held. The three Shepherds were wearing their full Morningstar Brigade uniforms and armor, with their masks clipped onto their hips and weapons strapped into their harnesses. Daken wore his simple prison attire with Jonathan's jacket overtop.

"Look, this is awkward," Daken said, finally breaking the silence. "And awkward is probably a bit of a weak word for 'maybe tried to smash you into little bits.' I know that. And I know that it's my fault it's this way, but we can either pretend like we can't see each other or we can come together to remember a friend. That much is up to you."

Kat offered a small smile. "We're glad you're here, Daken."

Uriel nodded. "Everyone else will be too."

"Thank you." Daken frowned, quickly scanning up and down the hallway leading to the ceremony. "Where's Meddy?" he asked.

"In the infirmary," Artemis replied. "She said that she couldn't leave, not while there are still patients on her table. She said it wouldn't be what Jonathan would want."

Daken's forehead wrinkled with concern. "That's not good."

"We all deal with grief in our own ways. If that is her answer, if that is how she finds her peace, then so be it," Artemis said, looking over at Daken out of the corner of her eye.

"No, you don't understand. That's not what this is for Meddy," he said as they continued towards the amber lights of the courtyard. "She takes death... very personally. She always has. It's part of the reason she became a doctor." Daken cast his eyes to the floor. "To her, every single death in the Brigade is her failure. Each is on her shoulders. She can recite the name of every single deceased since she took her position from memory. And now Jonathan.... This must be destroying her."

Kat reached over and squeezed Daken's hand as they began to walk into the courtyard. "She'll be ok. And if she ever isn't, we'll be there. I promise."

The courtyard was filled to the brim with Shepherds and Fishers of all ages and backgrounds. Every single member of the Morningstar Brigade stood in this small green oasis, their silverwood armaments shimmering against the cool night. It had been easy for Uriel and his band to forget that while they had fought against Faust, an army of fighters just as committed had waged a seemingly unending war against his legions. Their grim campaign was a stark contrast to the rolling green shrine, a garden bursting with life. Palm trees stood next to pines and orchids bloomed next to roses, all miraculously flourishing from the same soil. Nothing hung above the gentle sanctuary, save for a few quietly burning lanterns and the midnight blue sky itself. It would have been as if a piece of untouched Eden had been rediscovered, were it not for scores of silverwood coffins lying in the soft grass at the center of the garden.

A dead silence overtook the crowd as Daken's foot touched the swaying green floor of the courtyard. Every eye turned to him. A few looks of kindness and mercy dotted the Brigade, but glares and heated murmurs quickly drowned out their compassion. Daken felt a red spark start to run along his arm, but he quickly snuffed it out with his other hand. His face knotted with anger and he open his mouth to speak, but Uriel put a hand out in front of him.