eleven

⌜ chapter eleven ⌟

"Hey, uh, Scarlett." Joey walks up to the brunette in the school hallway, and she looks over at him.

"Hey, Joey." She offers him a small smile as she shuts her locker.

"Can I ask you something?"

"You just did." She jokes, but he seems to take it seriously.

"Oh, right. I'll see you later then."

"Joey, what's up?" She asks before he can walk away from her.

"Well, uh... I was, uh... I was wonderin' if you wanted to go out sometime...with me." He says, and her eyes widen a little.

"Oh, uh..." She smiles at him. "I would, but, uh... I actually have a boyfriend." She lies.

"You do?" He asks, both confused and surprised. "Who?"

"Eric!" She calls when she sees him walking by the two of them.

"Yeah?" Her best friend walks over to them, and the brunette quickly grabs his hand and intertwines their fingers.

"Eric and I just started dating." Letty says as she looks back at Joey.

"We did?" Eric looks at her, and she squeezes his hand, her gaze still on the boy standing in front of them. "We did." He nods as he wraps his arm around her waist, looking back at Joey. "Yeah, it's... It's still new."

"Sorry, Joey." She says, and he nods.

"Naw, it's cool. I understand." He walks away and he looks sad.

"Okay, am I, like, the worst person ever?" Letty asks as she looks up at Eric. "I feel really bad."

The older boy shrugs as he looks at her. "There are worse ways to get rejected." He says, and she sighs. He squeezes her hand, which is still clutching his behind her back. Eric offers her a reassuring smile when he sees that the guilty look on her face isn't gonna go away.

That night, Letty's over at the Matthews' house, and she's listening to the boys as Eric explains his day to his younger brother. He's half giving his best friend a hard time, and she's not amused.

"So, you guys are fake dating?" Cory questions as he looks between Eric and Letty. "Why?"

"Because I didn't know how to nicely turn down Joey." The brunette shakes her head as Eric chuckles; he thinks it's funny that Joey's liked her for so long and she didn't have the slightest clue.