nineteen

⌜ chapter nineteen ⌟

Eric turns in the hallway when he hears Cory and Shawn talking about a girl. "Look, baby geeks discovering the female of the species."

Jason walks down a step. "I say we tag 'em and return next Spring." He muses, and Letty shakes her head at the two older boys.

"Why don't you return never?" Cory retorts, looking at them.

"They attempt to protect themselves by puffing up." Eric adds, and Jason fills his cheeks with air.

"I don't see you with any girls." Shawn says as he looks up at Jason.

"Just because you don't see 'em doesn't mean there aren't any." The blue-eyed boy tells them as Eric wraps his arm around his girlfriend.

"And are there any?" Letty asks as she looks at her best friend.

"Hey, don't take his side just 'cause he's your little cub." He says, and the brunette smirks as she leans into Eric's side.

"You didn't answer my question."

"There is someone, yeah." He nods, and she raises her eyebrows. "Melissa."

"Melissa?" She echoes, and he just looks at her. "Oh, no way! As in Melissa and Hope Delgado?"

"Why is that so unbelievable?" He questions, and she scoffs.

"Let's just pray that their dad doesn't get ahold of you." She shakes her head, and he shrugs, a small smirk on his face.

The next day, Eric and Letty are both in his room, and they're tossing his foam football back and forth. He's sitting on his bed, and Letty's at his desk, where she was doing homework before he threw the ball at her. She catches it again and then gets up and walks over to him.

"Hi." He smiles when she sits on the bed beside him. He threw the football to get her attention so that she'd talk to him.

"Hi." She chuckles and then sees a picture on his bed frame behind him. "What's this?"

"Nothing." He quickly grabs her hand when she moves to reach for it.

"What's the matter?"

"Nothing. 'Cause there's nothing." He laughs awkwardly, and she smiles as she leans forward and kisses him.

His hand leaves hers, moving to rest on the side of his face, and as he's distracted by the kiss, she then picks up the picture that caught her attention before pulling away from him. She quickly stands up and turns, looking at the image of herself. Eric quickly gets up and goes after her.