thirteen

⌜ chapter thirteen ⌟

Letty knocks on the backdoor to the Matthews' house, and Mr. Matthews quickly lets the brunette inside. "Scarlett, you're just in time to see Amy open her present." He tells her, rather excited by the current events.

"Right. Happy anniversary." She says, and they both smile at her.

"Why, thank you."

"Thank you, sweetheart." Mrs. Matthews says with a smile and then she tears the paper off her present.

"Yes!" Mr. Matthews jumps, excited to see her reaction.

"Oh... Wow." His wife says, looking down at the big brown box. "A trash compactor."

"Yes." He's really happy with this.

"Thank you." She's less than enthusiastic about the gift.

"Yeah, we were just putting our names on the—"

"Cory." Eric smacks his side, cutting him off. "To Amy, with love​, from Alan." He reads off the card. "Just Alan. Nobody else. See ya." He then pulls Cory out of the kitchen, and Letty quickly follows them up the stairs.

"Eric, can I talk to you for a minute, please?" The brunette asks when they get to his room, and he just looks at her.

"I'm gonna go see what the dog's doing." Cory says as he turns back toward the door.

"We don't have a dog." Eric looks at his younger brother.

"I'll find one." He closes the door behind him.

Letty hasn't taken her eyes off of her best friend. "You've been avoiding me since the night of the dance." She says, and he shakes his head.

"No, I haven't. I just don't have anything to say." He says as he sits down at his desk.

"You're mad about the present that came in the mail."

He shakes his head. "Why should I be?"

"Eric—"

"It's not like I tried to kiss you last Valentine's Day and got rejected because of the guy — a guy who's name I don't even know, by the way." He says, and she sighs as she looks down. "You haven't even seen this guy since you were a little kid and yet you still seem to be more interested in him than in anyone else."

"That is not true." She argues.

"Yes, it is." He says as he gets back to his feet, and she looks up at him again. "You love getting stuff from him, even if it's just a letter. How is that supposed to make me feel, Letty? Especially when you know how I feel about you. I've told you. I told you that I wanted to talk, but then you took off after Shawn. It seems like everyone else is more important to you than I am." The second he says it, he sees the hurt on her face.