twenty

⌜ chapter twenty ⌟

"Come on, there's nothing that you can't tell me." Eric says as he walks over and sits down next to his girlfriend at the white desk in his bedroom. "I feel like there's a lot more about you that I don't know than I realized. What was that at school with Harley and your friends?"

"It wasn't anything. We were just looking out for Shawn." Letty tells him. "Hope and Melissa grew up with me and Jason in the trailer park, but their dad started moving them around after their mom died. I guess he doesn't like staying in one place for very long. He met Dean and Miller's dad while they were on the road, and all of us became friends. Dean and Miller are super protective because it's dangerous on the road, and in the trailer park. And we all learned to fight in order to protect ourselves, as well as each other." She explains, and he nods slowly, taking in all of the new information.

"Would you really have hit Harley's car with the baseball bat?"

"Oh, yeah, definitely. The Winchester boys aren't the only ones who are protective. There's not much that I wouldn't do for Shawn." She takes a deep breath as she looks at him. "Eric, does it bother you — what you saw that day?"

"It...surprises me." He tells her. "I'm just not used to seeing you like that."

"Because I don't want you to see me like that. I don't want to be like that." She says. "That is everything that I try not to be. I like who I am better when I'm here, with you. But, truthfully, most of that was just a show."

"What do you mean?"

"Me, Miller, Jason, all of our friends — we're not violent." Letty tells him. "We were just trying to make Harley go away, and get through to Shawn. Kinda like Cory's first day of seventh grade, when you got between him and Harley. You were just protecting your little brother."

"You were different that day too." He says, and she nods.

"That's because Harley gets under my skin. I hate bullies." She takes a deep breath as she looks at him. "People who put you down to make themselves feel better. Sound familiar?"

"You're talking about your dad." He nods. "I get it. It was just weird, is all."

"Well, with any luck, it'll never happen again." She smiles. "You're cute when you worry."

"Shut up." He smirks as he stands up. "Come on." Eric holds his hand out to her, and the two of them head out of his room.

"What the heck have you discovered here?" Mr. Matthews is eating a sandwich that his youngest made as the teenagers walk into the kitchen.