sixteen

⌜ chapter sixteen ⌟

"Hey, how about we study, Eric?" Letty suggests, but he turns her head so that she's looking at him again. They're sitting on the couch in his living room, and she's trying to do her homework, but he has other ideas in mind.

"How about we don't?" He presses his lips to hers, and she smiles as she pulls away from him.

"If we don't keep our grades up, your parents are going to stop letting you go out again." She reminds him. "Is that what you want? To not be able to go out on any dates?"

"No, but this is what I want." He leans toward her, and she turns her head so he kisses her cheek instead. "Now that hurts." He says, and she chuckles.

"Okay, besides your parents, I have a math test coming up that I'm afraid I'm gonna fail. We have to do our homework, Eric." She says, and he sighs. "Help me study, please."

"Alright." He agrees and then turns back to his book. "Hey, don't get mad at me for asking this, but what did your​ friend send you for Christmas?" He asks, and she looks at him.

"What?" The brunette asks, confused.

"Last Christmas, he sent that necklace."

Letty looks down at the rose around her neck and nods. "Yeah."

"So, what'd he send you this time?"

"Um... He sent me a camera."

"Why a camera?" He asks, eyebrows furrowed.

"Well, when we were little, I had this toy camera and I always said that I wanted a real one. I was so little then and my parents didn't have a lot of money so I never got one." She explains. "He saved up and bought one for me."

"He remembered that from, like, ten years ago?" He asks, and she just shrugs. "Just like he remembered that your favorite flower is a rose."

"There were roses at the park, and I liked them because they were red. Red was my favorite color because it was my mom's favorite color." She says. "It's not that big a deal."

"I didn't even know that red was your favorite color." He says, and she shakes her head.

"Well, that's because it's not anymore. and roses aren't my favorite flower anymore. That was just because my mom liked it, and I wanted to be just like her." She tells him. "Now I want to be the exact opposite of everything that she was... Or is, I guess. I don't- I don't know. Things are a lot different now than they were ten years ago."

"Did you still want a camera?" He asks as he looks over at her, and she hesitates for a second before nodding.

"Yeah, I did. I like pictures. I like the idea of capturing a moment in time, and having something physical to look back on to remember how things used to be." She tells him. "But you wouldn't​ know that because I never told you. I don't think I ever even told Shawn or Miller."