twenty-one

⌜ chapter twenty-one ⌟

"Well, we were having a conversation." Letty cocks her head to the side as she watches the two boys in front of her. She and Eric are in his room, and they were planning a date while he gets ready for school, until Cory ran in and jumped on his brother. "I'm going downstairs now."

"Wait...for me." Eric says as he tries to follow after her.

The brunette makes it to the living room and she looks at Mrs. Matthews. "Your children are insane."

"Why? What are the boys doing now?" She asks, but then they hear Eric grunting as he struggles down the stairs.

"That." Letty points at the brothers.

"Eric, put Cory down."

"I can't." He says, his voice strained and nasally. "I can't breathe. He's got my windpipe in a death grip." He still has his toothbrush hanging out of his mouth.

"Cory, let your brother breathe." Mr. Matthews says from his seat on the couch, and Cory jumps off of his brother's back.

"Remember pal... I know where you sleep." Cory says, and Eric walks over to Letty by the fireplace.

"Amy, when the exterminators were here spraying, did we leave the window open in Cory's room?" The boys' dad asks as Eric leans against the fireplace and pulls his girlfriend into his side.

"Eric, why is Cory so wound up?" Mrs. Matthews asks her oldest child.

"I don't know. I-I'm upstairs brushing my teeth, trying to figure out what my lovely girlfriend wants to do for our date this weekend, and the little squirt bull-rushes me from behind." Eric tells them, and the brunette smiles as a result of what he said about her.

"Why do you have your guitar out, Mr. Matthews?" Letty asks, looking at her boyfriend's father.

"I wanted to see if Eric wanted it." The oldest in the house says as he holds it out toward his son.

The teenage boy takes the guitar and puts the strap over his shoulders before he starts playing it — rather skillfully, much to everyone's surprise. Then he stops, takes it off, and hands it back to his father. "Nah." He shakes his head before going back upstairs to put his toothbrush away.

When Eric makes his way back downstairs, he finds that everyone's moved into the kitchen, and his mom's getting herself some coffee as his girlfriend looks at the older woman. "Mrs. Matthews, can I use your phone to call my friend please?" Letty asks. "I promised that I'd check in on her, she's been really worried about her boyfriend lately."