38.

Rave

Ever and I have been living with Kylie and her mom for three months now, and I can't lie, it's been the best three months of my life. Ky's mom is amazing, not only for taking in two kids that she owed nothing to, but also because of the way she treats Ever - as if she's her own.

Our mom was never great at the whole mother thing, so neither of us have ever had a mom that cared for us and wanted us around. Ever adores both of the Hatton women in this house, she's always following them around and wanting to do what ever it is they're doing. I'm happy for her, this is all I've ever wanted for her, and I meant it when I told Kylie that I couldn't think of a better family to care for my sister.

As for me, I'm just happy that the people I love are happy and safe. I try not to need too much from Kylie and her mom, but they insist and I usually lose whatever battle we have over me buying my own clothes and food. 

"Rave, stop stealing the blanket." I look over at Kylie as she wraps her hand around my blanket and tugs it towards her. 

"It's my blanket, Ky. You have your own in your room." I try to pull it back but she's holding on so tightly that it doesn't budge until she rolls over to face me, her hair wavy and untamed from the shower she took earlier. 

"Are you saying you want me to go sleep in my own room?" She raises a brow in mock anger. 

I roll over on my side so that we're face to face and with one hand, I pull her closer to me. She can't hide her smile or her giggle as all of her fake anger disappears. "Never." I whisper in her ear as her arms wrap around my neck and I see her bite her lip. 

I remember when Kylie used to blush every time I touched her - or even when I would make a comment about how how beautiful she is. I would always tease her about the blushing, but I found it cute and innocent. While I miss the blushing, I'm proud of the confident and brave person she has become. 

Kylie has come a long way in the past year. She no longer doubts her worth or her self, she no longer gets nightmares, and she doesn't hide what she's feeling or thinking. She has a better relationship with her mom, she stands up for herself, and she lets the world see her smile. She's kind, she's selfless, she's smart, she's crazy gorgeous -she's everything. 

Kylie says I don't owe her anything for talking to her mom about fostering Ever, but she doesn't get it. It's not just about Ever, it's about bringing things into my life that I never thought I would have. Happiness, love, a home, goals, plans - I have all of that now because of her and I owe her everything for it. 

"Why are you staring at me?" She moves a hand to my hair, running her fingers through the too long strands as she combs it back. I need a hair cut, but every time I bring it up, Ky pouts and says that I don't. 

"Because I really fucking love you, Kylie Hatton." 

------------------------

My phone has been going off for the past ten minutes and I've been trying to ignore it, but after the third text, it woke Kylie - who then shoved me until I picked the phone up off the nightstand.

I squint at the screen and then wipe my eyes before reading the messages again, "What the hell?" 

"What is it?" 

Lex: I know we're not friends, but I need you. 

Lex: Rave, please. 

Lex: CODE RED 

I don't want anything to do with Lexy, but I can't ignore these messages - I just can't. I know what her dad is like and I know that Lexy wouldn't be asking me for help if this wasn't serious. We haven't spoken in months and she knows how I feel about her. 

I can't lie to Kylie though, not this time. I can't risk ruining my relationship with her, not for Lexy and her secret. 

So I do the only thing I can think of. 

I don't tell Lexy's secret but I also don't hide what's happening from my girlfriend. 

I hand Kylie my phone as I get out of the bed and pull on a pair of sweats and a hoodie. 

"What does this mean? Where are you going?" Kylie asks, sitting up, my phone still in her hand. 

I look at the clock as I throw Kylie her own clothes, "Get dressed, we're going to the tree house." 

She seems confused, but within minutes we're sneaking quietly down the hall past her mom's room and out to my car in the driveway. Kylie doesn't ask any questions and I'm glad because I don't really know how I would answer them. 

Lexy is probably going to be pissed that I'm bringing Ky, but if she wants my help, she's getting Kylie's help too. 

I have a bad gut feeling that this is going to be the worst code red to date. I have no idea what I'm about to see or hear, and that scares me. Lexy's dad can be extremely violent when he wants to be, and once he loses control he doesn't know how to stop. 

We drive in silence and I can feel Ky's eyes on me the entire drive. When I park down the street from Lexy's house at 3:30 a.m. Kylie looks around, still not understanding what is going on or where we are. 

She follows me down the street and through the back yard of Lexy's house, which is dark and silent. Kylie grabs my hand as we start walking down the path towards the tree house and just as she's about to say something, we both spot Lexy. 

She's not at the tree house, she never made it that far. 

Lexy is sitting on the ground, leaning against a tree and holding her stomach while she cries freely. There's blood on her face but I can't tell where it's coming from, all I can see is the terrified expression she gives us when she finally looks up and sees the two of us standing before her. 

Lexy doesn't say anything and neither do we, it's like we're all in shock and trying to figure out if this is real. Kylie is the first to snap out of it and her hand slips out of mine as she runs over and drops to the ground beside Lexy. Without a word she pulls Lexy into her arms and a whole new round of tears start as Lexy clings to Kylie.