13.

Rave

Kylie is drunk. 

Liquid courage is definitely a real thing, as she started to down shots with her friends after the awkward encounter with that Cade guy, and when Lexy shot her a dirty look from across the room moments later. All night Lexy would shoot daggers at Kylie, and all night Kylie would pretend she didn't see, but then grab a shot glass. 

I, on the other hand, completely ignored every glare and suggestive look or smile that my ex threw my way. I was there with Kylie, and nothing Lexy did or said was going to change that. 

We danced, we talked, we kissed some more, and we had a good time but when Kylie and her friends started to sway and giggle with every breath they took, we decided it was time to get them home. 

I was the only one that hadn't had anything to drink, so after loading everyone back into Andy's jeep I got behind the wheel and started dropping people off at their homes. Erin was asleep on Kyle's shoulder so when we got to his house we had to pry her off of him, she immediately turned and fell back to sleep on Kylie's shoulder. Whitley tried to give me directions to Erin's house where we would be dropping both girls at, but she couldn't seem to remember right from left and it took a while before we pulled up to the house. Leaving Kylie in the car, a slightly drunk Andy and I helped Erin and Whitley into the house. 

When we returned to the jeep, Kylie had her eyes closed and her head leaning against the window. "Your turn, Princess." 

I wasn't expecting a reply, I thought she was asleep, but even if I had thought she was awake, I wouldn't have expected the words that came out of her mouth. "I don't want to. Can I stay at your house?" 

I tensed, every muscle in my body had grown tight at the thought of Kylie in my house. There's no way she can come home with me, I myself don't even want to go home. Ever is at a friends so there's no reason for me to go home, I was planning on crashing with Andy until Ever called me to pick her up tomorrow.  Andy notices how tense I am, he doesn't know any details, but he knows that no one goes to my house. I'm sure he has some ideas as to why, but he's never asked questions or forced me to talk about it.

I know that one day I will have to face the truth and show Kylie my life, but that day is not going to be today - not when things have just begun and not when she's drunk. 

"I don't think that's a good idea, Kylie." I finally manage to say, my voice just as tight as my grip on the wheel. Lexy's words from before finding their way into my head and I try to shake it off but I know she's right. My home is trash, my dad is trash, my life is trash...

"But my house is so lonely." She says softly, and when I look back at her in the mirror I can see the sad look on her face to match the sad tone of her voice. It's dark, but I think I can see tears forming in her eyes as she bites her lip and hugs herself. 

"Ky, what if Rave drops me off at home and you two take my jeep back to your house?" I look over at Andy in surprise but he just nods his head as Kylie immediately perks up in the back seat.

"Really? Thanks, Andy! Maybe you're not such a grump afterall."

I let out a laugh at Kylie's response, but Andy turns around in the seat and glares at her, "I'm not a grump." 

His pout starts Kylie on her own fit of laughter and as I glance back in the rear view mirror at her, I see her pointing at my friend as tears form in her eyes. "That proves that you're a grump! That's what a grump would say!"

"I am not!"

"Yes you are, you're grumpy right now! Tell him, Rave."

"I'm staying out of this." I say as my friend gives me a look of disbelief for not siding with him.