40.

"So I guess you and Kyle have figured things out?" I place the make up brush down on the table in front of me and look at Erin's reflection in the mirror as I pick up the next brush in line. 

I can see Erin's smile spread across her face as she attempts to tame Whitley's wild curls, "Yeah, we did. We had a really long talk a few nights ago and I think we're good now."

"Did you find out why he was being so hot and cold?" Whit asks, wincing as Erin tugs a brush through her thick hair. 

"I did, but it was kind of personal, so just know that we're good and he's opening up more." 

If there's one thing I understand, especially after this past year, it's that personal things are just that - personal. People talk when they're ready, and to who they're ready to talk to. "I'm glad. I'm happy for you, Erin." 

"Thanks, Ky. I'm happy for you too, things with Rave really worked out for the best." 

"And we're both happy for you, Whit. Audrey is great." I turn to my friends, all of us smiling and truly happy. So much has changed in the past few months and although I'm excited for the future and what it will bring, I'm sad to be leaving moments like this in the past. 

"No, Whit don't cry, I just spent an hour doing your make up." Erin quickly runs across my bedroom and grabs a few tissues before rushing back to Whitley and carefully dabbing at the tears building in our friends eyes. 

"I can't help it, I'm just going to miss you guys so much next year." She wraps an arm around Erin as I walk over to my two best friends and join the embrace. After a few minutes of trying not to ruin our hair or make up, we break apart, just as my phone vibrates on the table and Erin reads the message out loud. 

"Our dates are on their way, ladies." 

"Crap, we aren't even dressed!" Whitley looks down at her shorts and t shirt, then over to my closet where all three prom dresses are hanging. 

Thirty hectic minutes later, we are all three dressed and ready to go when Ever comes running up the stairs and into my room, "They're here!" She looks around at the three of us, "You look really pretty, guys!"

"Thanks, Ev." I give her a quick hug before we follow her out of my room and down the hall to the staircase where my I can hear my mom already clicking her camera and telling everyone downstairs how great the look. 

Erin clears he throat and then there's silence, granting her the perfect moment for the grand entrance she has been waiting her whole life for. Whitley and I laugh and roll our eyes as Erin places one manicured hand on the banister and begins her decent down the stairs to Kyle. 

From around the corner, out of sight from everyone, I watch as Kyle smiles back and takes Erin's hand when she reaches him. I can't hear what he says to her, but it makes her smile wider and her cheeks turn pink. It may have taken them awhile to get things figured out and on the same page, but I'm glad they finally did. Erin can be a handful, and she's a little too outgoing at times, but I think she and Kyle balance one another out perfectly. 

"Your turn." I tell Whitley when I see Kyle and Erin step out of sight and Audrey take their place. Just like the couple before them, Audrey and Whitley clasp hands and compliment one another with stars in their eyes. Audrey quickly joined out little group of friends a few months ago, and like I told Whitley earlier, I'm really happy she found Aud. 

Whitley looks back at me and gives me a smile right before I step away from the corner and turn to Ever. 

"Kylie, I have to tell you something." She's biting back a smile and I arch a brow, having no idea what she could be about to tell me. 

"What is it?" 

"It's supposed to be a surprise, but..." She looks towards the stairs. "I told him you wouldn't be happy about it."

"Ever, tell me." I can't lie, I was a little nervous, despite her amused expression.

"Rave cut his hair. Like a lot." 

Rave had been saying he needs a hair cut for weeks now, and I jokingly tell him that he doesn't each time he brings up the topic, because I love his hair. I love that it's wild and sticks out in all directions, never doing what he wants. I love how he runs his hands through it in frustration of even lazily while we're lounging around the house. I love running my hands through his hair and watching him fall asleep as I do so. 

I'm not saying Rave can't cut his hair - but on prom night? He cut his hair on the day of prom? This isn't a good surprise. What if it looks terrible or what if he shaved it all of? There are so many possibilities. 

"How much is a lot, Ever?" 

The little girl shrugs and I turn towards the stairs, taking them faster than my friends did before me. "Rave Matthews, did you get a haircut without-" I stop mid step, halfway down the staircase when I see him standing at the bottom waiting for me. He's smirking and his green eyes are sparkling with the same amusement as his sisters, but it's quickly morphed into something darker and more lustful as his eyes make their way up my dress and to my face. 

His hair is noticeably shorter and no longer in a constant state of chaos. Instead it's styled and tangle free, making him look more sophisticated and attractive than before - if that's even possible. It's not any of the horrible images I had conjured in my mind, instead it's perfect and fits him well. 

I walk down the remainder of the stairs and take his hand, our eyes never leaving each others. 

After my mom took thousands of pictures and gave us a lecture on drinking and driving, we all piled into Audrey's SUV and headed towards the Prom. Andy and his date were waiting for us at the entrance of the hotel and we all entered together, ready to close one more chapter in our lives before graduation.