neuf

(Unedited)

Thursday came much sooner than Evan had expected. He almost didn't notice until his mom had taken him out of school and started driving in the direction of Dr. Sherman's office. Another therapy appointment, he hoped he had done everything right this week.

He was always nervous when he had to go to a therapy session. His hands sweated more the usual and his knees bounced so much it ached. The only reason he really went was to make his mom happy, to show her that he was getting better.

He wasn't, that was clear. But, he needed his mom to feel that he was so she didn't worry so much. She's got so much on her plate already, why bring her son's mental instability into the mix. It just didn't seem fair.

"Did you write all the letters Dr. Sherman wants you to bring? I know you've been busy with school, but you need to have them," Heidi said, not taking her eyes off of the road.

"Yeah, yeah they're all here," he went through the stack of papers again for what felt like the hundredth time.

"That's good. Are they working for you, honey? The pep talks?"

"Yeah."

It was a lie, obviously. If Evan was being honest he saw no point in these letters other than to waste his time. They didn't do anything for him and they never would, they're pointless.

"That's great, honey. That's really great."

Evan forced a small smile, "Yeah, I guess it is."

---

"So Evan, how have you been this week?" Dr. Sherman grabbed a pen and prepared to write whatever he said.

"Good I guess..."

"Evan," Dr. Sherman looked at him knowingly.

"I'm just like I-I usually am," Evan played with the hem of his shirt, not wanting to look at the doctor in the eyes.

"Has the new dosage of pills been working?"

Evan shrugged, "I don't know how I would tell the, tell the difference."

"You don't feel calmer? Less anxious?"

Evan shrugged once more, "I don't know how I'm supposed to feel to know."

Dr. Sherman hummed, writing down a few things. It made Evan uncomfortable to watch her write down everything he said. He didn't understand the need to do it. He never said anything important anyway.

"I think we should start you on another medication, see if that works. I recommend to take it right before you go to bed. This medication tends to make you a little drowsy."

Evan nodded along to her words. He didn't want to start another medication. The one he had before was working just fine for all he cared. Medication isn't strong enough to fix his problem.

"Are you comfortable with changing meds?"

"Not, not really," he slid a hand through his hair, hoping to relieve some of the tension and nerves. His knees ached with anxiety and his head was pounding.

This was the last place you'd expect to have anxiety, but here he was, sitting in his therapists office close to having an anxiety attack.

"Okay, that's perfectly alright. Let's keep the medicine the same. Are you needing a refill?"

Evan shook his head, "No, I think I have enough for the next two weeks."

Dr. Sherman nodded her head, "Okay, have you mother call when you run out or start to get low and I'll prescribe some more, does that sound okay?"

Evan nodded, messing with the wrinkles on his khakis. He looked at the clock on the wall to see when this ended. Five more minutes. Just five more minutes.

"How's school been? The same?"

Evan nodded, "Schools awful either way."

Dr. Sherman chuckled, "That's understandable, I hated school when I was your age."

Dr. Sherman explained the many reasons why she hated school and Evan just nodded along to them. He wasn't paying much attention to what was being said, taking short glances at the clock every few seconds. The watch on her wrist beeped, signaling the session was over. "Wow, over already. Sorry for taking up the last few minutes, it's a bad habit."

Evan shook his head and shrugged, tapping his foot slightly. "I have another patient in a few minutes so  I guess you're dismissed."

Evan nodded, setting his hands on the arms of the chair and pushing himself to his feet. "Have a good day, Evan. Will I be seeing you next week?"

Evan nodded again, "Yeah, if...if Mom remembers."

Dr. Sherman smiled and set a hand on his shoulder, "Well alright, I hope to see you next week again."

Evan put on a small smile and nodded, "Yeah."

Evan didn't believe that Dr. Sherman actually wanted to see him. It was all for a paycheck. If Evan doesn't show up, Dr. Sherman doesn't get that weeks pay from Heidi. Like everything else in the world,  it was all for money.

"Goodbye, Evan."

Evan raised his hand to wave goodbye to her, "Bye."

---

Evan let out a long exhausted sight and plopped down onto the tan living room sofa, his body instantly relaxing at the softness of the cushions.

"Was this session good today?" Heidi asked, setting her purse down on the counter and opening the fridge. Evan scooted up to set his head down on a pillow.

"Yeah, it was."

"That's good, do you think they're helping?" Sounds of Heidi rummaging through the fridge almost blocked out her words.

"I think so, maybe we'll be able to quit soon," Evan suggested hopefully, leaning over the back of the couch to look at his mom. Heidi chuckled, shaking her head a bit.

"I don't think so, Ev. Not yet anyway."

Evan flopped back down into the same place he was in. "It was worth a shot," he whispered to himself.

Evan turned over onto his side and tucked a hand underneath the pillow. He didn't realize that he was this tired until his breaths evened out and sleep took over his whole mind and body at once.

Writing this while my baby sis is crying is a lot harder than I thought. Trying to write decently and calm down a 21 day old baby is a lot of work.

Ah I love her.