they

Nothing seemed to really, matter.

Words were spoken and exchaged around them, glares that wield the sharpest knives thrown around, insults and complaints alike.

But, none of it mattered.

After all, it was easier to pick black or white than try to understand all the shades of grey in between.

They stode down the empty hall that held memories. Gold, bad, forgotten, and yet to be lived. They were sure that last category was empty now, though.

Down stairs so steep that they had falled down so many times as a child. All the woodwork and carpet was worn, and ragged.

Past a living room that felt so dead.

Into a kitchen, than a dining room that no body sat in anymore.

Through another hallway, that seemed darker than the last.

They stopped in the bathroom, head hanging low with only the sink within view. They wanted to cry, oh god they did.

But why would they, when they were at a streak of 1 year, 2 months, and 4 days of not shedding a tear? Out of pain, sadness, joy, or laughter.

No, no tears would fall from their cheeks tonight. Or ever again.

Reluctantly their head raised.

Eyes locked onto themselves in a dusty, smeared mirror.

The reflection spoke so much without words.

The pupils within the eyes that could never stay one colour became small.

On their passport, it said they were brown.

But tonight, they had no colour. Just, lifeless.

The body lied, it looked so feminine. They supposed, if they had been who they were expected to be at birth, that wouldn't be an issue.

Yes, at birth.

The bar was set so low.

A pretty girl, with long red hair and a bright smile that was accompanied by rosy cheeks.

She would grow to be popular, loved and trusted.

Maybe that girl would have green eyes like her mother? Or blue, like her father?

Maybe she would wear dresses?

But no, this body was given the wrong mind. The mind of sombody who wasn't a girl, even.

But they weren't a boy either.

Their body reached the bar, but the mind was no where near.

Short hair, half blue, half red.

A frown of lifelessness accompinied by pale cheeks.

Unliked by most, run to thin to keep up with the few friends they had, and never given the benefit of the doubt.

The eyes? Never stayed a colour.