The First Night

It was later, when Bill and Percy had to pry you and George off of Fred. You kissed him, the dead boy. Wished he would kiss you back and winked at you. Told you it was a joke. But he didn't. He really was gone. After that, with Percy holding tightly to your shoulders in case you bolted back to Fred, Arthur locked the back door after everyone had came in. George was still struggling in Bill's arms. You caught his eye and he stopped fighting. Bill and Percy's grips lessened on the both of you and at the same time you broke away from them and ran to each other. He enveloped you in a hug once again, but this time you hugged back. Folding your arms around his middle. Clear wet drops flowed from your face, more-so than they ever had. You felt your shoulder become cold and saturated with George's tears. You knew deep down that although your pain was great, and that you loved Fred more than anyone in the world. That some how some way, George felt it worse. Fred and George had been together since birth, best friends. Inseparable, people had called them. No one could imagine them apart from one another. You didn't think too much about it. George didn't smell the best, he smelled a bit like the flowers, and blood. But you probably didn't smell too pleasant either. You stayed that way, holding each other for a long time. Neither of you saying anything any more, just enjoying having someone to touch. 

You didn't eat, you poked around at the meal Mrs. Weasley had prepared, unable to know how she did it. Fred had been her son after all. She seemed dazed as she cooked it up and sat beside Ginny across from Arthur. You and George sat down next to each other and you hadn't even realized you had seated yourself on Fred's seat. But no one seemed to notice besides George. He reached for your hand and squeezed it, not eating either. You looked over at him, but he was staring out the window at the first quarter moon just outside the window. You didn't want to eat, so you didn't mind that George didn't let go of your hand, and you were grateful for it. It was almost anchoring you to Earth, letting you know that there was still someone. Someone here. 

You went upstairs with the others. You lie on the floor of Ginny's room like usual, trying to fall asleep. But you just stared at the wall, listening to Ginny's breathing. Waiting for it to turn even. She seemed to have wanted to have said something to you before turning out the lights, but thought better of it and just walked in and fell asleep. Once you were sure she was asleep, you headed out and went up to George's room. Fred's bed lay with the covers all messy. George lay facing the window, his back to you in his own bed. But you knew he wasn't sleeping. You crawled into Fred's bed and pulled the covers up to your face. The bed creaked a little and you glanced at George. It still smelled like Fred, and a bit like fire. Probably from some of their 'Weasley's Wizard Wheezes' products. Whatever. It was still Fred. Tears that had dried on your face, now threatened to stain you once again. They rolled silently down your face, no longer stinging. You pressed the blanket to your face, engulfing yourself in the smell of him. Wishing he would walk through that door and wrap his arms around you. For a moment your heart skipped a beat when you felt strong arms embraced you around your middle and pressed their face to your neck. Then, when you felt the cold damp tears from them, you knew it was George. You held his arms around you with your hands as you turned to face him and you placed your arms around his neck and pushed yourself against him, wanting to believe he was Fred. None the less, you were glad he was there.