The Trial

You awoke in the middle of the night in a strange place. You no longer held your wand and your whole body was numb. You shivered at what you had done. Memories rushed by. Your parents' house, Rookwood, George...Rookwood...you'd tortured...and killed. Guilt fell like slow fat drops of rain. You tried shoving it away.

He'd killed Fred without remorse. He'd probably killed your parents and slept in their house. Tears came, for the fact of you being a murderer, having no family left, and not even caring that you didn't know where you were. A door creaked open somewhere to the right, but you were too broken to even care. A light burned through the darkness and you shut your eyes quickly.

"Oh, good you're awake. We'll see what they have to say about you now." You groaned trying to force your voice to work but from within your dull throat came nothing but hurt. "Don't try to use your voice yet, you must've torn it up screaming yesterday." You looked at the nurse with pleading eyes. "You had nightmares or something. Don't worry you've only been here 1 day. Drink this." She handed you a vile with light pink liquid and you drank it.

It tasted slightly of hot apple cider and felt good on your throat. Immediately you felt better.

"Who are you?" You croaked, your voice just a little scratchy.

"I'm Nurse Johnson. Mother of Angelina Johnson, I'm sure you know her." Your nose twitched a little. Yes, you'd known Angelina. Her, Alicia, Katie, and you had been good friends. Although the three of them had been a little closer to each other than you. Although you and Angelina grew specifically distant in your sixth year, when she had gone to the ball with Fred, although she'd known you had liked him.

"Yes. I do." You answered simply, your voice growing more even. She smiled, showing off perfectly straight white teeth.

"Well, sweetie you should get your sleep before the trial."

"What?" You asked confused. She frowned.

"You may have killed a wanted man, but you also used unnecessary means of the cruciatus curse."

You pursed your lips. "Don't remind me." You muttered. She smiled. "Sleep." Suddenly an overwhelming sense of calm settled over you. Where were you again. Why were you awake. "Sleep." And you did.

Fully dressed in the light wash jeans, black shirt, and jean jacket Nurse Johnson had layed out for you, you strode out of your room in St. Mungos to get prepared for your trial. Once you were in the lobby you were engulfed in a hug by a weary looking George. He pulled away too quickly for you to hug back.

"Oh, Y/n. I tried to stop it. You shouldn't have to. I mean it's completely." You put a finger to his lips.

"Calm down George. This will all be over soon." He smiled at you, his hands slipping from your shoulders as Ginny and Molly came up and squeezed you. "Can't breathe." You wheezed and they pulled away.

"We're so glad you're fine Y/n!" Ginny told you, walking back into Harry's arms. Ron had an arm over Hermione and Mrs. Weasley was checking every angle of your face for signs of ill health. Arthur came up behind her and pulled her away from you, revealing Percy behind her his eyes locked on the ground. You knit your eyebrows in confusion.

"He's been like that for days." Ron whispered in your ear. "Not sure what's wrong with him but it drove Audrey away." He said in a joking tone that almost made you smile. Except, Audrey. Why would she have left? So many things buzzed through your mind that you didn't dwell on it for long. Two guards stood at the doors. You walked to them, pushing away the arms of your friends.

"I'm ready." They each grabbed one of your arms and led you out. They pushed you a little, but you didn't mind. Once they were out of range of the hospital they apparated you away to the ministry. You wondered whom the new minister was and how they got it together so fast after the war.