f i f t e e n

[ two days later ]

i raised my hand and knocked at the thick and old-fashioned door using the bull-shaped knocker.

i stepped back away, waiting for someone to open the door. i stepped back again and knocked again, this time, much louder and longer than before.
when i stepped back, an old man opened the door for me.
“manang bola isn't here, you better go home—”

before the old man could fully close the door, i used my foot to stop him as i held the door and the knob.
“no, wait! um, i—i, um, i'm eru! matsuoka eru! please, i need to talk to manang bola. please.” i pleaded, desperation clearly heard from my voice.

“are you the unica hija of keiichi and emily matsuoka?” the old man asked and i quickly nodded.
mom and dad have known manang bola for so long and tried to hide it from me but i still learned who she was, anyway. she's an old sorceress, one of the best in her field. she lives in the forest, hidden from people, unless you know where to go.

i went here in hopes of asking her to brew something for me, without my parents consent, of course. i don't want them knowing that i plan to bewitch my bestfriend taehyung into falling in love with me.

“come, come in—quickly, do!—and sit down here, i'll just call manang bola and tell her you're here.” he said and i smiled and nodded politely as i slowly walked towards the long sofa and sat down cautiously. i looked around the house filled with antique things, antique to the point that it somehow creeps me out.

when i heard footsteps down the stairs, i turned around and saw the old man walking down, an old woman tailing behind him which i remember is manang bola herself. i stood up and bowed.
“oh, hi. err.. i'm.. uh, i'm matsuoka eru.” i said and looked up and exactly after i did, i met her piercing gaze.

“u-uhm—”

“ah, you've grown so much since i last seen you. why, pray come upstairs and let us talk things over.” she said in a high-pitched and quivering voice, the common voice of an old woman. i tailed behind her as she slowly climbed upstairs.

if the things downstairs were like the trinkets and things usually seen in antique shops, the second floor presented something much more different.

it was like the movies i've watched with evil witches and hags came to life. thick books, cobwebs, a large golden mirror, voodoo dolls, different kinds of liquid with varying colours and a large black plot with a long wooden spoon in the middle of the room could be seen.
“pray sit down the couch here and tell me your problem and what help could i possibly give you.”

judging from her looks, she looks like she already know what's wrong and just wants me to narrate things and clear a few things.
“it's uhm, a love problem. and i.. uh.. want you to please brew me something. i.. i've been in love with this guy for god knows how long and i think it's time for him to love me back.”

manang bola stood up and walked towards her shelves filled with large books. her wrinkled fingers brushed against the spine of each book and she gave a cry of satisfaction when her finger landed on a thick, maroon-coloured book. she picked it up carefully and flipped the pages quickly, almost like the wind blowing the pages. it seems like i was seeing magic first-hand already.
“ah, a love problem. how sweet for a young lady. brings back memories.” she said as her finger ran on a page of the book and suddenly stopped at a certain part.

“such an easy task, young lady.” manang bola said and i practically jumped from my chair in excitement.

“please tell me what i need to do. do i need to wipe my sweat against his face? or cry and make him kiss my tears? or maybe spit on his drink?”

“none of the above, young 'un. all you need to give me is three strands of his hair. when you've successfully given me those, i will immediately brew a potion for you.”