April 20th, 2018

Author

"Are you excited, bubs?!" Cheryl excitedly asks and sees her daughter run down the steps. Melanie's smile beams as she gets to the bottom of the steps and jumps into her mother's arms. She hugs Cheryl as her feet dangle because of her mother holding her up.

"Yes!" Mel squeals as her Mam puts her down.

"Alright, it's Friday," Cheryl reminds Melanie.

"Starbucks?" Melanie asks and Cheryl nods her head. The two head out to the car and get in Cheryl's Range Rover.

Melanie and Cheryl listen to music from the teen's playlist to the coffee shop. They sing along, dance, smile, and brighten each other's mornings. Once they have their coffees and are settled, Cheryl drives Melanie to school. As they get near to the carpool zone, Melanie wonders how she will get home.

"Are you gonna pick me up?"

"No, baby, I know you don't like when I do." Cheryl sighs and remembers the time when she picked up Mel from school. The teen's mother was being whispered about, stared at, and a few kids even waved to her. It embarrassed Melanie so much that she told her mother that she was never allowed to pick her up again.

"So, I'll walk with Thomas—"

"Bubs, we don't have time, I already told Kimba to pick you up." Cheryl says, worrying that Melanie will not make it home in time for them to catch the train.

"So, Kimba will be here?"

"Mhmm,"

"Okay," Mel smiles, "See you when I get home." The teen, surprisingly, gives her mother a hug. Cheryl waits for it to be over, but Melanie does not seem to let go.

"Baby, you're gonna be late," Cheryl beams, loving how her daughter will not let go.

"I love you, Mamma." Melanie ignores her mother's words and kisses her cheek, making Cheryl's smile widen. The mother kisses her little girl before she goes off and into the school.

"Mel!" Tristan beams towards the teen as she walks away from her mother's car, "Did you do the homework?" He asks and she nods, agreeing to text him a picture of her answers.  He thanks her as they walk into the school building and see tons of other students.

"Would you like to hang out after school one day?" Melanie asks him, to which he seems shocked.

"Yeah," He suspiciously says, "Why?" He asks and eyes her with caution.

"I want to hang out with someone new, and your fun so — yeah," She explains and shrugs her shoulders.  Tristan thinks about it and then nods, agreeing to hang out with her sometime soon.

"Cool, I'll uh, see you in second." Tristan waves her off and smiles widely at her. The two of them separate right as Melanie sees Thomas walking down the hall with his head down, looking at his phone.

"That's funny," Melanie says as she catches up to Thomas, "I texted you this morning and you didn't respond. But, here you are, looking at your phone." She jokes and looks at Thomas, who never even shoots her a look.

"Hello," Melanie waves her hand in front of his face, "Earth to Tom," She giggles and then keeps a straight face as she sees Thomas' serious expression.

"Is everything okay?"

"I don't know, you tell me," Thomas snaps all of a sudden, "Next time you find more important plans, don't forget to inform the person you're ditching." He glares at her and she suddenly remembers that she hung out with Aiden after school instead of Thomas — just as she promised.