Chapter 9

"Allie?" I heard from behind my locker door.

I closed my locker and saw Peter. "Yeah?" I asked.

"Look, about last night..."

"It's fine. I overreacted."

"Well, I know it's kinda late, but happy birthday."

He handed me what looked like two jewelery boxes. "What are these?" I asked.

"Open them."

I opened the first one, and inside was a gold locket bracelet. Inside on the right was a picture of my mom, her senior photo to be exact. On the left was a picture of my dad standing in front of his old motorcycle, which my mom sold after he passed.

I opened the other box. It was a silver locket necklace. I opened it, and on the right was Peter's school picture from this year. On the other side was a selfie of the two of us. We had taken it on my fifteenth birthday.

I started to tear up.  "Peter, you didn't have to do this..."

"Of course I did. It's your sweet sixteen, and it's your first birthday without your mom. I feel terrible about last night. I'm sorry. And if you want to switch the pictures or anything, that's ok."

I pulled him into a hug. "I know. Thank you so much."

"Of course Allie."

"And, about last night, I apologise. I'm just stressed about everything and upset and sad and... I just have a lot of emotions in my head right now. We can forget about last night, right?"

"Of course. Anything for my best friend."

I smiled. I pulled away from the hug and put the bracelet on. "Can you help me with the necklace please?" I asked.

Peter went to respond when the locket was taken from my hand. I turned and saw Flash. "Wow, nice necklace. Where did you get it? Your uncle?" Flash asked.

"No. Peter got it for me. Give it back," I said.

"There is no way Penis Parker could afford this."

"Flash, seriously, give it back."

"Aw, come on. Let me put it on you. Please."

"No. Give it."

"What will you give me?"

I reached for the necklace, but Flash pulled it out of my reach. I fell on my face. "Flash..." Peter said.

"Peter, it's fine. Get to class. I'll be fine," I said. "Oh, and can you please take my backpack? You owe me after yesterday."

"I thought we agreed to forget about yesterday," Peter said.

"I said forget about last night, not yesterday completely. Please," I said.

"Yeah, ok. See you in class. Hurry please."

"Yeah, ok."

Peter grabbed my backpack from the floor by my locker and headed toward chemistry. "Now, Flash, can I please have my locket back?" I asked.

"Why do you have two lockets? A bracelet AND a necklace sounds like overkill," Flash said, still dangling my locket just out of my reach.

"One has my parents, the other one has Peter and I. Just give me back the necklace."

He opened the necklace. "Why would you want pictures of him around your neck?"

I finally snatched the necklace from him. "Because he's my best friend."