Chapter 15

As soon as I got home I went up to my room and flopped onto my bed. "What the fuck is going on in my life?" I asked myself.

I turned over and looked at the picture on my bedside table. It was of me, my mom, and my dad when I was five. We were at Disney World in front of Cinderella's castle. I had the biggest smile on my face, and my mom and dad looked so happy that they could've convinced you they just won the lottery. And in their minds, they had won the lottery five years ago when they had me.

"I miss you guys so much. I wish you could see me now, see the young woman I've become. You guys would both be so proud."

I felt tears start rolling down my cheeks as I reached out and touched the picture. I thought about what my parents would say if they knew about my new powers. They would be happy and worried at the same time, but either way they would be proud.

I saw a reflection in the glass of the frame. When I turned around, Happy was in my doorway. "Hey Allie. I just wanted to check on you before I left," he said.

"Oh, you can go ahead and head out. I'll be fine," I said as I sat up.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure. But when are Pepper and Tony supposed to be home, do you know?"

"They're gonna be gone for another month or so."

"Oh. Ok. Thanks Happy."

"It's my pleasure kid. And hey, I'm sorry that they aren't around that much. I know you wish they were. But if you ever need anything, I'm here."

"Thanks Happy. That means a lot to me."

"No problem, kid."

Happy left, leaving me alone with my thoughts. I looked back at the picture of my parents and I. There had been so much going on in my life that I hadn't really gotten to grieve my mom yet, and I honestly wasn't sure I would for a while. I had to figure out this black market weapons thing, and soon. People were going to get hurt if I didn't. People were going to die.

Monday morning at school, I watched the school news for the first time in forever. "This past weekend, Midtown's Academic Decathlon team defeated the country's best to win the national championship. Later that day, they also defeated death," one of the hosts, Jason, said before they started showing student interviews.

"Explosion! Sally scream, Flash scream, everybody screamin'!!" Abe said frantically.

"There were purple lasers and smoke everywhere, it was-" Charles was cut off by a beep as he cussed. They also inserted a cat emoji over his mouth. "... just like a Bon Jovi concert."

"As you know, we made it out alive, and that's the important thing," Mr. Harrington said. "I couldn't bear to lose a student on a school trip. Not again."

The camera cut back to Jason and Betty at the desk. "Thankfully, no one was seriously injured, thanks to the Spider-Man and a new spider hero, who people are calling the Brown Recluse," Jason said.

"Thank you, Spider-Man and Brown Recluse," Jason and Betty both said awkwardly.

As Jason started talking about "showing our spider spirit," Ned and Peter found me. "Guys, guys, guys, guys. What is it like being famous when nobody knows it's you?" Ned asked.

"It's crazy, dude," Peter said.

"Not sure I'm 100% sold on the name Brown Recluse, but still, crazy," I said.

"It's crazy," Ned said. "Should we tell everyone?"

"No," Peter said.

"Should I tell everyone?" Ned asked.