Bonus | New Stories

Ella grabs her coffee cup without looking. Her eyes are glued to the latest edition of The New York Times, just as usual. The streets of the city are buzzing with people, yet miraculously she evades every single one. Well, all except one.

"Woah!" her coffee splatters onto the pavement. Luckily neither her or the person in front of get wet.

Ella gasps, and people turn to look at her as they rush by. "Shit! My coffee... oh, and you! I'm so sorry-"

"Ella?" the stranger, who sounds oddly familiar, has their hands on her shoulders.

She looks up, and her eyes widen in surprise. A moment later her lips curl upward. "Easton Dugrey... stalking me again?"

He laughs, sending pleasant shivers down her spine. "You wish. I live here actually, in the building to your right," he says and points to an industrial skyscraper across the street.

"No way! I live just around the corner..." she trails off, noticing the smirk on his lips.

He sticks his hands in his pockets. "It's an entirely different lifetime, isn't it?"

"Yeah..." realization hits her like a snowball to the face, "Yeah, it is an entirely different lifetime."

The hopeful glint in his eye is back, and she grins from ear to ear.

"Would you like to grab a coffee?" he leans in, just slightly, "I've heard it protects you from the cold here in NY."

She nods, almost grateful for a second chance. "I'd love to."

They enter the coffee shop, Ella for the second time that day. And even as they sit down, the smell of espresso filling their nostrils, they do not realize that a new story has begun.

And this one might have a happy ending.

Published 3/4-2019

___

New Stories