sixteen ;; a long term plan with short term fixes

luke was stunned to see ashton, smiling brightly and widely once he saw luke, leant over his locker. it wouldn't be such a shock if it weren't for the fact he hadn't seen ashton at all for three, maybe four weeks. "ash?" luke said, approaching his locker cautiously, pulling a face at the messy haired boy.

"hey lukey." he smiled.

luke smiled a little as well. ashton was the only person who gave him nicknames.

"hey." he said.

ashton was surprised to say the least that the kid hadn't turned away and ran off down the halls back to michael yet, and decided this was his chance to leap, and maybe to be a little careful about how he did it since luke was here at the moment and didn't seem to be leaving.

"i just wanted to say i'm sorry." ashton said slowly, shocking luke twice in the space of a few seconds.

"what for?" he asked, having forgotten about the harry incident.

"ruining your date?" ashton said, pulling an awkward face and smiling a little.

"oh, it was nothing, don't stress over it." luke smiled back. "i wasn't that interested anyway."

an awkward silence grew between the two as they stood together, sort of just revelling in each other's company. ashton certainly hadn't seen this coming. he had expected things to be way harder, and was certainly expecting luke to tell him to fuck off or get angry at some point.

but he wasn't.

luke was being nice and talking to him. the kid he'd been chasing after for several months now, and staring at across classrooms for years, was actually talking to him in a sensible manner.

and ashton couldn't believe his luck.

"well, i have to get to maths, i didn't hand in my homework last lesson and i don't want to be late to add on top of things." luke said with another cute little smile that made ashton smile as well.

"yeah, sure." ashton said calmly.

"bye ash." luke grinned, turning and walking away.

it was all over too soon.