Chapter 23. Up On The Roof

Bucky jolted up with sweat dripping down his forehead gasping for air.

He had another nightmare.

He rubbed his eyes to wake himself up and wiped the sweat from his face. He looked around to check his surroundings in panic.

He sighed with relief. 

He got up from the inflatable mattress carefully to not disturb Loki from his sleep. Now was not the right time to get in a fight with him.

Bucky walked over towards the bathroom and washed his face. He paused and stared at his reflection.

At least you are safe now.

He told himself over and over again.

He stepped out of the bathroom and started to walk over towards Steve.

As he was about to wake Steve up, he stopped himself. He silently stepped away from Steve to try to not to risk waking him up.

Steve has always been there for him since back in the 40s through thick and thin. Even when he went out of his way to get Bucky back into his life, he risked a lot.

Bucky turned towards (y/n)'s door.

He sighed.

I don't want a burden on her too. Even though she offered.....I don't want her to go out of her way for me.

So Bucky was left with an only option now.

The roof.

Bucky grabbed his journal from his bag alongside with a pencil. Carefully, he climbed out of the apartment and climbed up to the top of the roof.

As Bucky got up at the top, he took a deep breath.

The cool New York air entered and left his lungs as he was trying to get familiar with his old home.

He found a comfortable spot and brought out his journal.

As he was writing down his thoughts, he felt someone's presence approaching him. 

Bucky quietly pulled out his knife from his pocket.

The presence he felt was getting closer and closer. He quickly swung his arm with the knife at the person.

" IT IS JUST I, BARNES!" Thor exclaimed.

Bucky's incoming  knife was quickly misdirected as Thor quickly blocked his attack with his arm without the knife penetrating his skin.

" I am so sorry." Bucky apologises.

" No worries." Thor reassured. " It is one of the many perks for having a brother who is a stabbing maniac."

Bucky placed his knife back into his pocket.

" Why are you isolating yourself from the rest of us?"

Bucky looked down slightly turning away from Thor.

" I had a not so pleasant dream..."

Thor looked at him with sympathy.

" I've had my fair share of not so pleasant dreams in the past." Thor sat next to him.

" Does it involve murdering innocent people and it feels just like it just happened yesterday?" Bucky coldly stated.

" Not quite, but I would like to join you in acknowledging the difficulties of your life."

Bucky turned towards Thor.

"You are not the best with this comforting thing."

Thor chuckled.

" Many centuries ago I had unpleasant dream once not so long ago." Thor started. " but it has a backstory first."