thirteen

a/n: these next few chapters are going to be on the shorter side! happy reading, please comment and vote! :D

The day has gone and passed so quickly, it's almost time for Harry and the band to get on the stage. He's not focused on performing at all though, mumbling his way through soundcheck as his eyes nervously bounce across the venue looking for Rhea. He hasn't heard from her since last night, nor has he seen her. He stopped by her room before Aspen dragged him down to the lobby but there had been no answer. No replies to his texts. Nothing.

It's unnerving for Harry, to say the least. He's been on edge all day, hoping he'll see her around a corner or busying herself backstage. He feels lost without her and the fact that they didn't wake up together after what happened last night is eating away at him.

He's fixing the cuffs of his suit jacket, walking swiftly from his dressing room towards the backstage area. He can hear Aspen's fluttering voice grew louder as his boots tap against the floor in a rhythm. After she'd returned with his coffee, she'd stuck to Harry's side all day. As much as Harry found Aspen entertaining and interesting, she'd showed up at the worst time possible.

Harry walks into the area where the crew is running around, getting everything ready for show time. He scans the flurry of people, nodding at Jeff who Aspen is talking to. Aaliyah is standing by the sound board talking to the main engineer and pointing out beyond the curtain at someone in the crowd. Harry knows she's showing him the spot where a reviewer for one of the local media agencies would be sitting.

He runs his fingers through his freshly styled hair, pulling at the roots in frustration. Mitch walks up next to Harry, adjusting the strap of his guitar.

"Have yeh seen Rhea?" Harry asks him, turning towards his friend.

Mitch shakes his head, "No, actually." He pauses to glance around and scope out the area too, "I haven't all day."

Harry doesn't say anything in response and Mitch turns back towards him, glancing at his friend carefully. "Harry are you okay?"

Harry nods, not meeting his eyes as he busies himself with fixing his shirt, unbuttoning an extra button because he feels like he's suffocating. "M'fine," he mutters.

He can see Aspen heading towards him in his peripheral vision and he's really not in the mood to brush her off again. He's got to get into the performing mindset and he can feel how heavy the grimace on his face feels. He turns to his side slightly and sighs to himself, walking towards the side stage to peek around and get a look at the crowd. Fans are filling the seats, buzzing with excitement as they chatter with each other. Harry loves his job, so much so that he doesn't even consider it a job. It's demanding and crazy at times but there's nothing he would rather do every night. He doesn't like going onto the stage if he can't give himself over entirely to his fans, but today he feels like he did when he auditioned for the X factor – incredibly nervous, on the edge and anticipating even the slightest mishap to set him off completely.