Chapter 13

*a few months later*

"Hurry up! You're so slow!" I yell to Hunter. He's performing tonight at my home town fair grounds, I haven't been to the fair since high school and I remember where everything is and I want to show Hunter my childhood.

He runs up behind me out of breath. "You're going to ware me out."

"Then take a nap after we're done!" I grab his hand and pull him to pig barn. He looks at the baby piglets along with every other little kid. "C'mon!" I pull him to the back in the corner. They stopped using that part of the pig barn after I left because they built a new section on, they also abandoned the old steer barn that was there forever.

I point to the name on the old rusty stall. He looks at me and bends down to see it.

Amelia Long
Rusty - '09

He stands back up and flashes smile at me. "You showed pigs?"

"Yeah. Pigs, goats and steers. Rusty was my last pig." My eyes study the tag again as I remember how huge this place used to be, now it feels so much smaller. He sees me, then pulls my hand into his rubbing it with his thumb lightly. "Come here I wanna show you something." I say.

He rolls his eyes "If I had a dollar for every time you said that in the past 2 hours-"

"Just shut up and follow me." I grab his hand but instead of pulling him behind me, I wrap my fingers with his and walk beside him. My head rests on his shoulder and I grab his forearm with my other hand.

We walk out of the pig barn and behind the old steer barn, I climb over the wall like I did when I was little. I get over and help him up. "What is this?" He asks jumping down and looking around at all the old pictures and ribbons that people forgot to take down.

"This," I hold out my arms looking at the old stalls walking down the isles. "This is the old steer barn. I used to come back here and run around when I was little, wishing I could be one of those high schoolers that showed off their steer and get that big blue ribbon." I stop and turn around to see Hunter looking around, not touching anything but just looking. His hands are in his jacket pockets fidgeting, he's probably nervous about germs or something, I mean there are rat traps everywhere. He looks up at me as I turn back around. "It's funny,"

"What?" He asks, even though I'm not looking at him I know he's smirking.

"How when we're little, you believe you can do anything. You can't wait to grow up. Then when it finally gets here its like it happens in two seconds, and you wanna be a child again, ya know? Like you wanna go back to the time when it felt like time stood still. You had no responsibilities. When we're little it seems like it takes forever to get to the next step, or chapter in our life right? Then when you finally get to the good part it's like it just flips through it in no time." I stop at my first old stall. I feel the bars and then I go to open it, I remember how its broken and you have to jiggle it to get it open. Little things that were daily routine in my childhood are coming back to me, I open the gate and walk in, feeling the walls as I walk around. I get to the back and sit in the pile of old hay that has been laying there for years. I look up and smile. "Ya know, it wasn't all that bad, my family. When my Aunt and Uncle took me in, its like I had, a brand new life, a fresh start. Then, they went out one night and got in a car crash, never made it home. Then child services sent me back to my mom." The barn comes back with some not-so-good memories. "Ya know sometimes I wish I was in that car with them. Like just to leave this world behind me? I didn't want to be stuck with my life."

"Don't say that." Hunter says from the other side of the isle. I decide to stop talking about it because I don't want to make this a sad crying get-my-life-together moment. I pull myself up and walk up to Hunter who's just outside of the stall.

"All I wanted was just that big blue ribbon to show myself that I had done it, that I could do anything, that I could be anything I wanted to be and nobody could stop me. When I finally got my first blue ribbon, I'da never thought I would ever be happier in my entire life, until I met you."

He smiles down at me. I can tell he isn't really listening but just looking at me. "You're so beautiful."

I roll me eyes while still smiling. "I love you dork.

"I love you too."

I grab his jacket and pull him into a kiss. His hand is against the stall door beside him basically holding us up. Then of course his hand slips and we both fall onto the hay covered ground. "Oh my gosh I'm so sorry I-" I uninterrupt him with a burst of laughter. I start rolling around just dying, and since he realizes I'm okay he starts laughing too. We lay on the ground laughing for a while until we're about to burst.

"Hunter I can't stop! Help me!" I squeal in between gasps for air and tears streaming down my face.

"What do you want me to do?" He's still laughing but calmer than me.

"I don't know just do somethi-" Before I can blink his lips crash into mine. I immediately stop laughing and just kiss him back. I back up closer to the wall and he follows right after me. He pushes me back against the wall and kisses even harder, I pull his jacket to bring him closer to me and deepen the kiss even more.

He pulls back. "Amy, I was going to tell you this later and Sam is going to kill me but I can't wait and its perfect and I-uh-"

"What is it?" I'm kinda worried. He look scared and a little sad.

"I - I uh- It's just- You see- I- I - I." He sighs. "Words are hard." I laugh at his stutter and his crocked smile. "I can't say it -obviously- so i'll just sing it." I nodded for him to start. He coughs a few times and starts singing.

"I know that we're crazy, yeah but after all this time you'd think I'd be used to the pull of your gravity. So I wanna wrap you up wanna kiss your lips Amy I, I wanna make you feel wanted, I'll be your first time, hopefully your last time, Amy be mine oh mine, 'cause you're one part angel one part perfect one part a wreck with a James Dean spirit and your Norma Jean heart." He stops and pulls out a velvet black box. "I guess what I'm trying to say is, girl would you take my name?"