FTAC 2 | A bad move to make

[Edited version]

Last edited on: 2020/ 10/ 15

Chapter 2:

A bad move to make

Multiple textbooks and ticking school bells later Anaelle was nervously trying to making her way from class to class without being noticed by anyone. It was a wonder she survived any of them. First period advanced Math was nothing new to her as well as the French class in second period.
The classes itself were fine, although a little basic for her.
What she truly feared was the time between classes. Five minutes' walk time may seem like an extremely short period of time, but it was just the right amount for the opportunistic matrics to cause their damage and swoop their way back to their classes like the wholesome, law abiding citizens that they want to be perceived as.

And trust me they can cause a lot of trouble if they want to.

I'd know.
I'm not the most loved amongst the older kids mostly due to the fact that I attend the school under a scholarship and the fact that Nikolai Di hates my guts. Oh, well if they don't like me then that's their problem.

Anyway back to Anaelle.
She has been shoved against lockers, tripped in the hallway and even had to carry one of the older kids' books to the other side of the school only to sprint her way to her own class in under five seconds. The worst though, was when one of the prefects commanded her to crawl to her classes making cat sounds with her following close behind.

Yes, this school truly is a hell-hole at welcoming week.

At least she didn't get the worst of it; rumour has it that there was a boy duct taped to one of the jacaranda trees and another girl was told to propose to a matric's boyfriend until he agrees. Needless to say he never agreed and the poor girl ended up with Bovril and tuna in her hair.

When the lunch bell finally rang it was like music to Anaelle's ears. She has never been so thankful to hear a loud screeching bell echoing through the halls until that very day. She ran to the tuck shop as fast as she possibly could and when she got there the line was fortunately short.
Within two minutes she was at the front of the line and got her food without any of the older kids noticing. Which was quite the feat, since it seems that there's a tormentor hiding behind every corner.

I guess even children of Welcoming Week spurred Satan needs to eat.

Hurriedly the girl rushes through the double doors to see if she can spot her brother's familiar mop of brownish-black hair in the multitude of children eating on the grass. The moment she stepped into the fresh air it felt like she could breath again. The slight breeze playing against her skin gave her some comfort as she stood on her toes to see atop the heads of the other students also exiting the building. She couldn't see anything with her being the size of Tinkerbell and ultimately gave up on her search for safety. She felt her chest constricting in panic, but she shook her head in annoyance at her own pitiful fear.

This is not the time for worrisome insecurity, Anaelle. You're not a neonate anymore, so stop relying on your brother's influence and act your age, she thought with a determined nod.
With newly gained strength from her own strong worded pep talk, she confidently footed across the cobblestoned path. Her courage didn't last long though since the moment she stepped foot on the soft grass she felt all her bravado drain from her body and drip into the dirt and vivid green grass.

She took a deep breath, ignoring the stares as she walked out onto the big lawn with stone tables and curvy benches placed into little gatherings. For the life of her she hasn't been able to make any friends. With the matrics from hell on the loose it's nearly impossible to socialize with the other equally terrified grade eights. But she was determined for that to change. Now the question was where should she sit?

Yep, this definitely has a Mean Girls feel to it.