29.

-meet the mom

I lay in bed wide awake; it was only seven in the morning but I was so nervous that I couldn't sleep any longer. Jason's head was lying on my stomach and I periodically stroked his hair as I thought about all the ways that our day could go. I silently prayed that everything would run smoothly and that his family would like me; they seemed to be an important part of his life and I wanted to get along with them for his sake. I looked down at him and smiled; if anyone had ever told me that I would fall so fast and hard for a man I would have scoffed and brushed the thought off, but it happened so effortlessly that I didn't have any doubt left about us.

I thought about what love was and I was sure that I never truly loved Demarcus; even if I did it was nothing compared to what I felt for Jason Amir Moore. Every time I looked at him my heart was full; when he smiled my whole body felt warm; whether our relationship lasted another ten years or another ten minutes I was sure that it would be worthwhile. I gave him one last glance before carefully slipping out of his grasp; went to the bathroom, quickly washed my face and brushed my teeth and then went back to my bedroom.

I grabbed my phone and walked to the kitchen so that I could call Lea; she had called me over ten times which meant that Jazzy filled her in on the Demarcus situation. Although it happened just the day before, the memory felt a million years away from me; with the major relationship milestones that I was passing, something like receiving flowers from my worthless ex-boyfriend seemed inconsequential. My obnoxious best friend answered the phone on the first ring, speaking at a mile a minute.

"I can't believe that you're only just now calling me back Kira! I thought that the psycho snatched you up after Jazzy texted me." Lea stopped to inhale, "I was so close to coming over there until Jazzy let me know that Jason was with you!"

I chuckled, "Breathe Lea, it's handled." I was grateful to have her and Jazzy always looking out for me; I may not have had reliable blood family but the family I made for myself was something special. "He paid a kid to deliver them to the front door and the guard knows that he's not allowed on the premises; all facts that I'm sure Jazzy told you so relax."

"No I ain't gonna relax for shit! That was some top level stalker shit that he pulled, who the fuck cares if he loves you like my nigga he is a dead man walking." Lea's voice got deeper which indicated that she was dead serious. "I know you like to brush shit off but this is different; he found out where you live and don't give me that weak ass 'he don't know my floor and door number' bullshit cause that ain't shit to a psycho. He can follow you anywhere as soon as you leave your place."

I groaned, she blew the natural high I was on from last night but it was a much needed reality check, "Fine, I get it. It's serious and we'll take it seriously." I said as I opened the fridge to get a bottle of water.

"What did Jason say when you told him?" Lea asked, though by her tone it was obvious that she was aware that I hadn't shared the events of the night before with Jason. I slowly sipped my water to fill the silence. "I can't stand you." Lea chuckled.

"Why would I tell him that Demarcus sent me flowers and a love note?" I sighed as I hopped onto the counter. "It doesn't matter."

"I don't know, maybe cause he's your man and he can help you; especially if you get Kev's help." Lea said in a matter of fact tone, I rolled my eyes and sighed once again; I didn't want to involve any of them.

"What do you mean Kev's help?" I asked, she clearly knew something that I didn't in regards to Kevin.

"Oh nothing, he just used to hack shit for his lil drug boss or whatever, not like he knows how to find people or anything like that." Lea yawned, I had no idea what any of them did when they acted on the other side of the law and I didn't necessarily want to know either; plausible deniability and all. "Not like he runs an entire internet security company or anything." She continued while feigning disinterest.