Ch 10.May/31/2009

The weeks seemed to pass by in minutes. Valeria and Stefano were practically inseparable. He walked her home every night. Stefano started to forget about finding people for making his art. He started painting instead. He would visit her often when she was at work. They would paint together at the art center or simply walk together in the park whenever Valeria wasn't working or at practice. Sometimes they would go to the opera house and Valeria would try and teach Stefano how to play the piano.

It was Saturday on a hot summer day. Almost too hot, even for swimming. They decided to paint since Valeria wasn't working that day. Stefano decided to paint multiple bloody hands holding a bouquet of red roses. He looked over to see what Valeria created. It was faded stars with a twilight sun touching a crimson sea reaching out to the white sand. There was a pale woman walking along the shore barefoot. She wore a long elegant black dress flowing in the breeze. Her arms flowed behind her. They were covered in blood as well as her neck. Stefano smiled.

"It's beautiful mia cara." He said before she looked at him and started blushing.

"Yours is as well Stefano." She replied as they admired the art they created.

"You call that art?" A voice said behind them. They looked to see the owner of the art center.

"Yes. Yes we do. Better than tin cans." Valeria replied as calmly as possible. Stefano smiled slightly at her reply.

"There are people out there that appreciate the art." Stefano finished.

"Do you know why we had you remove your art from the center, Mr. Valentini? Do you know why people don't like your art? It's because it's not. A child's finger painting is better than your art." The owner responded cruelly. Valeria struggled to keep her anger in.

"You have two days to remove this trash before it gets thrown away like the trash it is." The owner finished. Stefano sighed deeply and nodded his head before walking away. Valeria looked at the owner before going after Stefano. She stepped outside but didn't see him. She frantically looked around before she decided to check the opera house.

The lobby was quiet as she slowly walked in. The only place she thought Stefano would be was in the auditorium. She quietly opened the door to see Stefano standing near the piano. He was playing a violin. Valeria slowly walked towards him as she listened to the sad yet soft music.

"You play violin?" Valeria said as she reached Stefano. He didn't say a word or even look at her as he nodded his head slightly. Valeria tried to step in front of Stefano and face him but failed as he turned away and set the violin down before sitting in a front seat with his head hung. She could hear him. He was quietly crying. It hurt Valeria to see him so sad.

"Stefano?" She said quietly as she walked towards him. She could see his leather gloved hands covering his face as he continued to silently cry.

"Stefano. Please look at me." She begged as she stood in front of him and got on her knees.

"Please?" She said as she carefully placed her hand on his knee. Stefano then slowly lowered his shaking hands revealing his tears. She could see tears of blood falling down below his bangs. She started to move the bangs to the side but then Stefano grabbed her wrist.

"You don't want to see it Valeria. Such flaw doesn't deserve to be seen by a masterpiece." Stefano said as his voice continued to shake.

"Stefano-" Valeria said before Stefano spoke again.

"It did give me my view of art but it is not art itself. Such wretched feature should stay in the dark, like me." Stefano finished. Valeria felt tears fall down her face as she gently placed her other hand on his wrist.

"Stefano, don't let this so called flaw push you away from me. You don't need to be afraid, because I'm not. Please Stefano, let me help you." Valeria said as she kept her hand on his wrist. Stefano sighed and let Valeria move his bangs to the side revealing his right eye. What was left of it at least. The area around it was damaged and scarred. She could see the few veins move slightly with each pulse. She found it dark but beautiful. Valeria was full of pity. She took out a piece of cloth from Stefano's jacket and wiped the tears of blood off of his face. She stood up as he did the same.

"Don't listen to philistine critics. Don't pander to the uneducated opinions of callow neophytes. You are and always will be a true artist." She said as she placed a hand on the side of his face before she kissed him. He embraced her not wanting to let go. She was the only one in the world who appreciates his art.