CH. 22September/26/2009

The leaves started changing colors as summer faded into autumn. It wasn't too hot, yet not too cold. Apples were in season and the Meadowglory Orchard was open for harvest.

"Damn.    Why does this one have to be so high up?" Stela said as she looked up at the apple that caught her eye. She jumped up and managed to grab it. Beth smiled before she put an apple in her basket.

"All the nice ones seem to be out of reach every year. But the ones that you manage to grab are worth the struggle." Valeria said as she reached out and grabbed one. Stela looked over at Stefano who was doing some photography nearby. She smiled and looked at Valeria.

"You seem a lot more happy ever since you met Stefano.        Well, there was those few days where you were stuck with Jack the ass." She said making Valeria and Beth laugh a little.

"You've been even more happy ever since you moved in with Stefano." Beth added as she picked a few more apples. Valeria looked at Stefano just as he looked at her making them both smile at each other before looking away. It was then quiet for a moment. Stela took a deep breath.

"Valeria,      what did Jack do when you were in his house? Could you please tell me so that I can beat his ass into the ground?" She asked. Valeria was quiet for a bit.

"He found me hiding one night and dragged me into his room. He was holding me as he         ya." She said as she looked away from them. She looked over to Stela's furious face.

"You don't need to beat his ass in.    Stefano already did that." Valeria said with a fake smile making Stela smile.

"Stefano has my approval." She replied as she looked at the tree searching for more apples. Beth looked over and saw Valeria staring at something in the tree.

"What is it Valeria?" She asked.

"That apple up there.   I want it really bad." She replied as Beth looked at the apple. It was the perfect shape and color.

"That's pretty high, even for Stela and I." Beth said as she finished filling her basket. Valeria was afterall the shortest of the three. Valeria sighed in slight disappointment.

"Oh well. I guess the birds can have that-" Valeria said before Stela interrupted.

"Hey Stefano. Could you help Valeria get an apple?" She shouted catching Stefano's attention. He smiled and put his camera away as he walked over to them. He looked up at the apple Valeria wanted.

"That's pretty high up." He said before he stepped behind Valeria. Valeria looked at him as he placed his hands on her waist before they looked up at the apple. She jumped up and Stefano lifted her high enough to grab it. All Stela and Beth could do was smile. 

"I'm glad that I got to know your friends a little better.   Maybe we can hang out with them again sometime." Stefano said as he helped Valeria carry the apples to the kitchen. Part of him was a little scared of Beth and Stela. He didn't know why but he hoped that it'll go away soon.

"I think that'll be fun.  We could go eat somewhere maybe." Valeria replied as they made dinner. They talked while eating and washing dishes. Valeria kissed Stefano before walking to her room. Stefano was about to walk into his room but then stopped when he saw the first picture he took of Emily Lewis. He looked at the picture "Bouquet" in his room. There was something he needed to do before going to bed. He walked over to Valeria's room to see her brushing her hair. Valeria stopped and looked at him as he walked up to her.

"Valeria,      I remember you asked me if you could see more of my art." Stefano said. Valeria was confused at first but then remembered the night when she first met him.

"I think it's time that I hold up to that promise." Stefano finished before he held out his hand. Valeria smiled and took his hand. He lead her to the red door and into his dark studio. He lead her through the maze of tables and walls until they reached two red doors.

"Close your eyes mia cara." Stefano said as he stopped and let go of her hand. Valeria smiled and closed her eyes. She heard Stefano walk away and open the two doors before walking back to her. She felt him gently grabbed her hands and start backing up as she started walking forward. Suddenly, he stopped and let go.

"Go ahead and open your eyes Valeria." Stefano said as he took a few steps back. Valeria opened her eyes and was overwhelmed with fascination. She was in a gallery full of Stefano's art. It was beautiful.

"Stefano, I'm speechless.   This is incredible." Valeria said as she looked around. Stefano couldn't hide his smile no matter how hard he tried as he watched Valeria walk around and admire each piece. Valeria then set her eyes on a corner of the room. It was hiding behind several curtains. Stefano noticed her curious face.

"This corner isn't done yet. You can see it when it's done to full perfection." Stefano said smiling. Valeria smiled as she continued to look at more of Stefano's art. Stefano walked over behind the curtain and started hanging up pieces and rearranging a few.

"Stefano,    what is this one?" Valeria asked. Stefano followed the sound of her voice around a corner to see her admiring a piece under a flickering light.

"This is the photo that took one of my eyes    " He said as he fixed the light. He turned and looked at her curious face.

"      but gifted me with vision. The moment of death,   like yours." Stefano said as he stood next to her.

"Captured like a fly in amber." Valeria said before she gently held his hand.

"A life ends, and a flower of flesh and blood is born." She finished as they looked at each other.

"It's beautiful." She said as she looked back at the picture. Stefano carefully turned her face back to him before he looked into her eyes. He then kissed her. He rested his hand on a small record player that was on a nearby table before pressing play. He drew his lips gently away from hers as the music started to play. It was the last song they danced to at the Gala. The old player had the same effect on the music. Dark but beautiful. Valeria smiled as Stefano took her hand and rested his other hand on her waist. Valeria rested her other hand on his shoulder and they started to dance around the gallery as the music echoed throughout the room. If neophytes and critics think this isn't art,    they don't know what is.