Chapter One - Ash of Erydon

"Are you ready for the medal ceremony yet Asher?"

Prince Asher of Erydon looked at his reflection critically in the mirror. His mother, the Queen, had picked him out a military uniform of bottle green. His white-blonde hair wasn't spiked up like usual, it was swept smartly to the side. Asher hated it.

He fiddled with the brass badge on his chest that was in the shape of an oak leaf. It represented their Kingdom, Erydon, the Kingdom of Earth, and this was partly why he was leaving the Palace for a week.

The Four Kingdoms of the Land had grown apart after years and years of no contact, and the King and Queen of Fierdom, the Kingdom of Fire, decided to host a reunion. They decided the next generation needed to be closer together, so they invited the Eldest Heirs to the thrones of the Four Kingdoms to a medallion ceremony. They would all be presented with a golden medallion which would protect them from harm. If all of the Heirs wore the medallions, the Land would remain safe forever.

The Kingdom of Air, Mistelle and the Kingdom of Water, Leauden, had accepted their invitations gladly. So had Asher's kingdom, but Asher was reluctant to go. Everlasting protection? His father had already done that over his lands, who cared about the other Kingdoms? But then again there was a certain element of curiosity. He'd never heard his parents speak of these so-called 'Heirs' or 'Eldest' before now. Who were these people?

Maybe, finally, he thought, he could find someone. A friend, perhaps...

That was something he'd always longed for.