Chapter 22 - Winds of Change and Cracking Earth

"Ash?"

Aura's whisper was barely audible. Ash had his eyes pointed at the ground, not speaking, but a tear rolled down his pale cheek.

"Ash, I,"

"Please," he said, his voice breaking with sadness and pure emotion that he had never experienced so powerfully before, "don't do this. I love you Aura. You can't leave me now."

"Ash - this is different."

Aura felt like she had to force out these words. She felt so terrible for saying them, but she knew she had to. She had to get her parents back.

"How?!" Ash almost screamed, his heart was tearing up and his head hurt with so many feelings. "How is anything different?"

"They're my parents, Ash. I have to."

"So do I mean anything to you anymore?"

Aura grabbed his shirt and pulled him so close that the could feel each other's breath on their faces. Ash was panting slightly, his breath hot yet oddly cold could be felt on Aura's delicate skin.

"Ash you mean the world to me. You, you were my new dream."

"And you were mine," Ash whispered.

Aura pressed her lips softly against his, their tears mingling together as they kissed. His arms were wrapped around her waist, her hands were tangled in his hair. It was a soft and gentle kiss, but at the same time the most passionate either of them had ever been.

Ash couldn't believe that this was goodbye. As he held her in his arms it just felt like it's might be the last time they would kiss, would embrace, would be together. After everything that they'd both been through, it all felt wasted somehow...

"Aura?"

"Yes?"

"Are you really going to give yourself up to him? To Gothel?"

"I have to. I have to try."

"You'll kill yourself. They will never let you live."

Aura took a deep breath before continuing.

"Ash, if I was locked away, alone, would you go and fight Nori for me?"

"Do I need to answer that?"

"Exactly. This is why I have to. I need to know that my life has purpose."

"Then we're coming with you."

A/N Argh really short chapter but you guys keep going on about how I need to update, so I try to as often as I can! Hope it wasn't too bad, but I'm going to need a few days to plan the finale chapters, so if it's ages before I update please don't kill me!! Sorry once again, but I did need a bit of Jackunzel in there somewhere :)