Chapter 7 - Before the Ball

Laec mustered up some courage before knocking on Ash's door.

"Yes?" Ash asked slightly aggresively.

"I, I was just wondering if you could, could possibly give me some, some advice, I suppose," Laec muttered the last words, staring at the floor.

"About what? I barely know you, Laec, I've never even spoken to you until now!" Ash was puzzled. Incredibly puzzled. What the heck was going on?

"I'm in a bit of a dilemma, Asher," Laec paused before saying his name. "It's just, that girl, Enya. The one in the red dress. Did you see her?"

"Yes, why?"

"This sounds stupid, but I think I might be in love with her."

"That's not as stupid as you think it is, you know," Ash smiled. "Look, come in, we'll get ready for the ball, and you tell me everything."

"It's just -" Laec found he couldn't speak anymore.

"Look, tell me everything. What's on your mind? What's wrong?"

"Okay, I fell in love. I've only seen her twice, but somehow I know it. I feel it. I just know she's perfect and I think she's the most beautiful person I've, I've ever seen," Laec took a deep breath.

"I wouldn't bet on that," Ash muttered.

"Oh yeah?" Laec grinned. "Who's this then?"

"The other one, Aura," Ash said, turning to look at Laec for the first time. "White silk dress, yeah?" Laec nodded. 

"I know who you mean."

"She's driving me crazy! I can't stop thinking about her, seriously. I think I'm going mad, over a girl!"

"Join the club," said Laec gloomily. "But I don't see how Enya's ever going to like me. I'm scrawny and not exactly the dashing hero am I?"

"That doesn't matter," Ash said. "If you're honest with her I'm sure she'll fall for you."

"But she looked away from me at the medallion ceremony! I smiled at her and then she immedietly looked away!" Laec tore his hair in annoyance.

"I bet you -" Ash mused, the penny dropping, "she's never been in love before. She's scared. She doesn't know what to think. If you can convince her you're an OK guy, she's going to be all over you."

"You think?" Laec said desparingly, but for the first time with a hint of hope. Ash nodded, and Laec grinned.

"I'll try. Thanks, Asher."

"Just call me Ash. My parents hate me calling myself that, but I hate Asher."

"Sure."

Laec smiled and left Ash. As soon as he had gone, Ash buried his face in his hands.

He knows what he's going to do now, Ash thought, but I sure as Hell don't.