Chapter 28 - Power Undefinable

The whole room fell silent. The rest of the Monarchy turned and stared at the King and Queen of Mistelle, with the expression that suggested they'd seen a ghost.

"Hazia?" Elinor whispered as she stood up to see the unexpexcted arrival. "Is that - you?"

"Elinor?" Hazia gasped. "You haven't changed at all!"

The two women embraced with beams stretched across their face, like the sun of hope had broken free from the night of despair after these long, arduous eighteen years.

"A-Aquilo?" Stoik stuttered, tripping over his sea-blue robes in his haste. "After all this time - you didn't die in battle - and I never, I never -"

His huge body shook violently with a sob.

"I never came to find you -"

Aquilo smiled. 

"Stoik my friend," he said calmly, "you weren't to know. No one could have. No one could ever have found us until -" he gestured to the Eldest Heirs, "these four came along."

They all smiled awkwardly as their parents turned to them, wearing bright smiles of admiration, trust and almost disbelief. None of them had ever been capable of much until now; they seemed to have risen to the challenge as well as anyone could, better. They had - they had grown up.

"Son." Stoik's voice broke the silence as Laec turned to face his father worriedly.

"Yes..?" Oh Gods please don't be mad at me, he thought feverishly as he looked up into his father's piercing eyes with apprehension etched all over his face.

"Son, I was wrong about you. I thought you'd never be able to inherit Leaudon's crown. But today you really proved me wrong. And although I don't like that much," his eyes twinkled as he smiled, "I had almost given up on you and you showed me what you really were."

Laec felt surprised as hell, but also the happiest he'd ever been in his life. His father was never like this to him, never. He sounded like he'd never sounded in his life, he sounded proud. 

"Thanks, Dad," he said, smiling up at him. Father and son hugged in the middle of the room  and everyone who watched could tell it was a milestone in their relationship. Unfortunately Ash couldn't take much more and he had to step forward.

"I'm sorry to interrupt," he apologised, "but I have to ask an extremely important question." He turned to Hazia and Aquilo of Mistelle and took a deep breath.

"There's no other way to put this other than I am passionately and madly in love with your daughter," he stated. "Ever since I first saw her I knew that I could not and would not love another. She's the -" he glanced at her; she was beaming at him, eyes wide and full of light, "- the only woman who makes me feel complete. I've never felt this strongly before, ever. So with your majesties' permission," he bent down on one knee, "may I have your daughter's hand in marriage?"

A/N Short chapter I know, I was a little rushed, but thanks sooo much for the 2.7k!! This is amazing - but not as amazing as you guys! THANK YOU ALL!!!