Chapter 51- Thriller Bark

After the Strawhats had a good dinner with Brook...

"Well, now to the matters of why I look like a skeleton... I ate the Yomi Yomi no Mi." Brook said nonchalant.

"Yomi Yomi no Mi? A Devil Fruit, right?" Sanji asked him in surprise.

Juli narrowed her eyes thoughtfully. 'Interesting type of Devil Fruit... Having the power of revival is quite something...'

"That's right. The truth is I already died some decades ago." Brook told him and as he turned his head around to him his whole skeleton face was full of dirt and food residues.

"First, clean your face. How can you be so dirty after eating?" Sanji just said after sweat dropping.

Brook cleaned his face at that and began to poke in his teeth with a toothpick. "In short, the Yomi Yomi no Mi Devil Fruit has the Power of Revival. I was promised that I could live a second time as a 'Revived Human'. Oh, how wonderful that ability seemed."

Juli listened closely in interest to what Brook was going to tell them.

"I was a pirate in those old times... Oh, excuse me..." He interrupted himself and burped before continuing his tale. "On the ship you saw earlier, I came to this ‚Devil's Sea' along with my nakama... Oh, excuse me..." And with that, he burped loudly again.

Sanji sweat dropped at that. "Want me to hit some manners into you?"

"Unluckily, we happened to engage with some frighteningly strong fellows and my entire crew was annihilated. Of course, I also died at that time!" Brook explained. "When I was alive the only ability the Yomi-Yomi gave me was the inability to swim. That day at last, the Fruit's ability was activated. My soul was returned from the underworld! If I had returned to my body immediately, I would have been resurrected. But as you can see, there's a thick fog on this sea and I got lost. My soul wandered around for a whole year! When I found my own body, it was only white bones. I was utterly surprised- I didn't even have my eyeballs. Yohohoho!"

Juli frowned sadly at that. 'A lone soul wandering lost around the sea for years... And when Brook found his body, there wasn't even one of his nakama left to be with him... He had to be really lonely all those years. How sad...'

"You're just as stupid as Zoro, huh?" Luffy stated cheerily.

"OI!" Zoro sighed at that after sweat dropping.

But Juli narrowed her eyes at her brother at that. "Lu... Apologize." She looked at him warningly.

Luffy began to sweat at that, still a smile on his face, before he began to apologize in panic. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry, okay! Please don't pull at my ear, Juli-nee!"

Juli just sighed at that, a fond smile on her face. 'Well, looks like it did work a bit to scold Lu all the time...'

The other's just sweat dropped at that, wondering why only a look of Juli could get their idiotic Captain to listen.

"Anyway..." Franky said and looked back at Brook. "So, that's how you became a talking skeleton! Being resurrected even though you were only white bones is the dreadful power of the Devil's Fruit."

"But you're still cursed, right?" Sanji noticed. "Once the function of the fruit is fulfilled, the only ability you have is the inability to swim."