Chapter eighteen

"Tyler," She croaked.

"Anna," I replied as I rushed to her bed.
"Anna are you really awake??"

"Mmh."

I leaned over and pressed the red button, paging the doctors.

Soon a doctor and two nurses came in. When they seen Anna's eye open, they stood there, stunned.

"Don't just stand there! Help her!" I shouted.

They rushed over and started talking doctor talk. I walked towards the bathroom to call Sarah.

"Sarah, she's a awake," I spat out.

"Really? I'm on my way," she said and hung up.

I went back out to the see doctor and nurses starting tests.

"What's going on?" I asked.

The doctor turned to me. "We're starting tests to make sure she's stable. She will be in here for a few days and then she'll go to a psych ward."

"Why a psych ward?"

"Well most suicide patients go there for a while after a failed attempt. She'll only be in there a month, tops, as long as the psychiatrist approves. But she will go unless parent says otherwise. Where are her parents? They haven't signed in at all?"

"Her step mom is the only legal guardian she has left. And she doesn't care about her at all."

"I see. It's one of those situations. Well, let us finish these tests and we'll get back to you."

I nodded and he left. The nurses stayed in the room and hooked her up to some machines and drew some blood.
•~•

Sarah and I were sitting in the waiting room because we were kicked out of the hospital room.

"Do you think she'll live?" Sarah whispered.

"She's awake. She's gotta live now."

"I hope she's okay."

"She has to go to a psych ward after this," I explained.

"Oh."

"Yeah."

After that it was quiet. We didn't say anymore to each other.

As the night fell Sarah got tired and left. She wanted to stay but she couldn't keep her eyes open. I told her to be careful driving home and she nodded and left. I haven't been allowed in the room yet, so I crashed in the lobby.

11:00 p.m.

"Sir," someone said, shaking me awake.

"Are you for Anna Arnolds?"

"Yeah," I said, sitting up quickly.

"She is okay. She'll be leaving tomorrow for the ward. She will continue treatment at the ward. I need you to sign these since there's no parents involved and you've been here everyday."

She handed me the clip board and I skimmed over the words. It was to sign her into the ward. I didn't want to sign them; I wanted to take her home and cuddle her and tell her everything was gonna be alright.

But I couldn't.

I signed the paper and started the next. The next we're just insurance papers.

I handed them back to the nurse and she walked away.

Shortly after, a nurse I knew all too well came and sat down by me. The nurse that tried to get me to go home because Anna "wasn't gonna make it."

"Congratulations. I never knew a boy could have so much hope in a girl," she said.

"Yeah."

"I'm happy she's awake."

"Me too."

"It's gonna be okay. You'll see her soon enough."

"It feels like it's been forever."

"I know. Are you gonna tell her the truth?"

"What truth?"

"Your feelings," she said.

"I don't know. I think I will."

"I hope the best for you. Now go see her before she leaves tomorrow."

The nurse got up and left.

I stood up and stretched, then made my way to room 102.

"Anna," I whispered.

Anna was asleep.

I pulled a chair next to her bed and sat down. I held her hand and rubbed it with my thumb.

All I could think about was how so much stuff has ruined such a beautiful girl's spirit. I don't understand how people could be so cruel.

"I love you," I whispered so soft, it was barely audible.