Chapter 5

Nathan checked himself in the mirror one last time. Leather jacket: check, band t-shirt (with small holes in it for bigger impact): check, ripped jeans: check, black boots: check, bandana in hair: check, necklaces, bracelets and rings: check. It was funny, before moving to Newtown, he didn't really care about what he wore, as he spent most of his time in either sport clothes or a uniform. But then he went on to be part of bands where looks played an important role in drawing people's attention, and he began experimenting with it. Sometimes their outfit choices seemed a bit too ridiculous, even his own, but he just laughed it off. It was fun.

Tonight was no exception. Having the opportunity to hang out backstage with a legendary band like The Quicksand Swimmers* wasn't just for the sake of it, it was also business, but without making it seem like so. Sandra, Wicked Garden's manager, was aware of the band's potential and she did everything in her might to make them known: shows every weekend, merch, interviews, studio time to record demos (which would get them radio airplay), and, of course, photos with one of rock's biggest acts.

Nathan sprinted downstairs. It was a little past 7:30 so it was getting late. But as he exited the apartment complex and walked fast to his car, someone called his attention.

"Hey!"

He stopped and turned around to meet a familiar face, Robin, who had her back leaning against the light post.

"Hey..." He said, "All good?"

He reminded himself that tonight he should just let her be.

"Yeah, just waiting." She replied. "River's on his way."

Nathan nodded and then noticed what Robin was wearing. A black, off-the-shoulder top that hugged her body and that showed her collarbone and a bit of her shoulders (quite the change from the turtlenecks she'd been wearing all week), dark fitted jeans and boots. A jacket was tied around her waist, maybe for later. Her hair, which was usually down, was styled into two French braids, one to each side, with strands of loose hair that framed her face.

For a second he forgot he should not be checking her out, but often times his actions didn't meet his rational thoughts.

"Won't you be cold in that?" He blurted. Robin smiled.

"I assume it will be warm inside." She replied. "I have my jacket here anyway."

He nodded, once again forgetting that he wasn't really supposed to be there and that he should be on his way already.

"Want me to wait with you?"

"No!" She exclaimed. "No, please. No need."

No way.

"You could wait inside..." He pointed towards the entrance.

"Um..." She chuckled nervously. "It's kinda late already, isn't it? You go ahead. I'm sure you'd like to get some tips from Mike** regarding bass badassery, or whatever."

"It's dark already and you're here all alone." He insisted.

"Please, it's not dark!" She scoffed, "There are kids still playing literally in front of us."

Robin stared into Nathan's eyes, wishing he would get the hint. All in all, she didn't want him to be there when River arrived.

"Alright." He shrugged. "Don't wanna read about you in the papers tomorrow."

Robin shook her head, smiling, and watched as Nathan hopped into his car and drove away.

This was still all too new. She took a deep breath and hoped River would get there soon.