Chapter 37

2006

"...and then I saw Poundcake was using Johnny's new surfboard as a scratcher!" Andrea exclaimed, amused, as she wiggled a pen in her hand. Robin sat beside her in one of the conference rooms at Crimson Management, waiting for Nathan. "I was mortified. Well, it's only Johnny's fault, really. He knows Poundcake likes to hang out in the blue room when we're not home and I always tell him to put his boards away."

Robin had summoned Andrea and Nathan to the office that day to check out a preview of the final version of 'The Book,' the working title of One Life Remaining's 10th Anniversary book, curated by Nathan with all the images the band selected, and with the special touch only Andrea could give to the written text of the band's history.

The Anniversary project as a whole, albeit exciting, had proven to be a little more difficult than Robin had initially thought. Fortunately and in spite of a few setbacks, the rarity album was recorded, the film was in its final edition stages and the book was almost on its way to the printers. A new website was ready to launch as well.

It had been hard work. Robin was exhausted, mostly emotionally. In the midst of the finishing touches –perhaps the most stressful phase for her, River had become busy with a project of his own: his friend Erika's debut album, her band and their gigs. It was something Robin knew he enjoyed. She was aware of how in the past few years, he searched for distractions from the band, maybe looking for a balance. It was okay.

Except now it was not. Robin was fine about it at first, she didn't consider Erika a threat. But later on, when it was clear this woman was using him for her own advantage and he was falling for it, spending a lot of time with her and becoming close, Robin could not keep her discomfort at bay anymore.

And now, all she could think about was the news River had broken to her the night before: that he would leave with Erika and her band for a short tour soon.

He would be back right for the premiere of the 10th Anniversary 'thing.'

Okay.

Robin was still digesting this information, trying to get used to it. But in all honesty, all she wanted and needed was for River to stay the fuck home.

"Then I thought, Johnny will not mind. He loves that silly cat." Andrea's voice sounded far in the distance in Robin's ears, even though she was sitting right next to her, "At least it wasn't the custom surfboard he got made in Costa Rica."

Robin just smiled, tucked a strand of her strawberry blonde hair behind her ear and pretended to listen. She was not paying attention in the least bit. Andrea noticed right away.

"But I was wrong." Andrea grinned wide, "So now, I have to put Poundcake up for adoption," she joked, looking for a reaction from her friend.

There was none. Yes, it was obvious Robin was not really there, even if she was looking straight at Andrea's eyes.

"Earth to Robin?" Andrea waved her hand in front of Robin's face.

"Huh?" Robin blinked and shook her head. "Oh, honey, I'm sorry. I—my mind is... somewhere else. I think." She pinched the bridge of her nose. "What were you telling me about Poundcake?"

"Where?"

"Where what?"

"Your mind, Rob. Where is it?"

Robin opened her mouth to speak but was saved by the bell. Nathan entered the conference room with a thick book under his arm and sat across them, placing the book on the table with a big thud. He was wearing a new Pink Panther shirt. Whenever he wore a cartoon shirt he got a chuckle from Robin. He didn't this time, he was only greeted by silence.