Chapter 36

River drove home from the band's rehearsal space. Lately they had been spending most of their days there, unearthing unfinished songs, rarities, b-sides and demos to re-record them for the 10th anniversary compilation. And yes, that 2-minute punk song would be included. River giving in was rarer than the song itself.

The truth was they were having a good time with each other. Feeling good and accomplished about writing music was perhaps what kept this band together. It was the core, the purpose. Selling albums, touring them and the fame is just something that came with it.

Everyone close to River wondered why he still kept that old car of his, the blue Malibu. He did have a newer car that he used the most but he still couldn't let go of that old machine that had been his companion for so many years. Plus it had belonged to his father. He drove it whenever he felt 'some kind of way' he could not define, just like when anyone wanted to do something and didn't know why. Today was one of those days.

Or maybe the cause was clear and coming out of his speakers. He was listening to Erika's demo again, that he kept in the glove compartment of that car. Four acoustic songs, just her and her guitar. There was nothing too particularly special about it, but he enjoyed it more than he cared to admit... when he forgot who she actually was. River almost felt proud of himself at his reaction – he figured he was being very diplomatic and mature about this.

And perhaps, the reason he was listening to it was because he knew that, that very night, there was an open mic night at that new tiny café he drove past every single day on his way home from rehearsal. That flyer strategically enclosed with that demo CD she gave him inferred that Erika was going to be part of it.

As much as he tried to hush his curiosity, River found himself stopping right in front of that café. He exhaled and tapped his driving wheel repeatedly. Ah, fuck it, he thought to himself, turned off the engine and left his car.

He hadn't seen a small gig in ages, much less been to an open mic night. It was all big shows the band got invited to, the festivals they played at, or the acts that opened for them. It's funny because he could walk into any place and not be bothered. In Newtown people recognized him and some approached him, but for the most part he was left be. With his long hair and funny shirts long gone and replaced with a pretty regular haircut, plain shirts or things like the dark blue sweater he was wearing that night, River Andrews could pass as any Average Joe.

But not to Erika. She spotted him right as he sat down at an empty table and as soon as she finished her last song she walked his way, guitar still in her hand. He was still trying to assimilate his own presence there and how different this Erika looked from the one he used to know. Her hair long and not colored. Wearing a maxi dress (at least that's what he'd heard Robin call those things) and sandals. A long way from the aggressively colored hair, heavy makeup, leather jackets, fishnets stockings and combat boots from yore. He held his breath as she took a seat across him.

"Really?" Erika scooted her chair closer. "Really? River Andrews, from One Life Remaining at my gig?"

"Don't brag about it." River spat. "It was an open mic."

"I'm not bragging." Erika laughed. She could hardly hide her joy. "Okay, I am. A little. I never, ever thought you'd get the hint and come."

"Hm. Looks like I'm still not that predictable." He raised his eyebrow. As they talked, he was convinced he would not fall into some tricky game of hers. But then again, this seemed like a new person.

"So, you liked what you heard?" She inquired. "The demo?"

"Actually, I—" River looked down and cleared his throat, "I did. I mean, it's still needs some... guidance, some tweaking, but, it's good."