Chapter 20

Liz brushed her long and silky black hair for one last time while she checked her eye makeup, making sure both eyes looked the same. They usually did. Black eyeliner was her trademark look, the one that made her feel the most confident. However, her hands felt somewhat shaky today. She breathed deeply, trying to ease her nerves.

She had never gotten this far chasing after her passion. For her, music was just a hobby she pursued in spite of her parents' reluctance. They thought it was a waste of time, particularly the instrument she had chosen, drums, which they didn't consider fit for a girl.

She still managed to play the drums in her school's music room while keeping decent grades, so her parents just let her be. After moving out to Newtown for college, she spent her savings on a drum kit, not minding the fact that she had to share a place with two other people.

Liz loved music and could play along to her favorite songs, but she had never thought about joining a band. It all changed when she accidentally overheard Robin telling Sandra at work that River Andrews and Nathan Harrison, of Wicked Garden fame, were looking for a drummer. Something clicked within her and once the ad was placed, she rushed to call.

Now, anyone would be nervous before a tryout, but it was different for Liz. She believed she had much more to prove. Somehow, she thought that if she showed up as a boy (or just in boyish clothes, as if to show that being a girl drummer was the least of her concerns) she'd be more comfortable and they would be too.

It's just that Liz always yearned to fit in. Growing up, she didn't have many friends and was bullied at school. Her almond-shaped eyes, thick dark hair and complexion revealed her origins, and kids could be cruel and judgmental. It broke her, but she thought it also allowed her to build some character.

After finishing school, Liz developed a tough exterior and showed a more confident self. College was a chance for a fresh start. She tried her best to be less shy, after all, the new people she was meeting were much more open and mature. She went out to live shows, became even more passionate about music, grew interested in abstract art and tattoos and found a job in Crimson Management.

Never in a million years did Liz think her drumming audition would be fruitful, but it was. However, she was still unsure. After that conversation with Robin in the kitchen at work she considered bailing, thinking it had been just a strike of luck and that she wasn't as good as they thought she was.

Maybe the guys had been put off by her 'alter ego.'

But they hadn't.

Because they were that cool.

Liz checked herself one last time in the full length mirror that hung behind the front door of her shared apartment. Band t-shirt, favorite feather necklace, hair, makeup, boots... all set. Before heading out, she read the written note Robin had handled her just the previous day:

"HEY LIZ,

HOPE U'RE DOING GREAT.

WE REALLY LIKED UR DRUMMIN' + WE'D LOVE TO HAVE U OVER 2 RECORD A COUPLE TRACKS 4 A DEMO. NOTHIN' SPECIFIC, WE'LL FIGURE IT OUT AS WE GO.

IF U'RE DOWN, LET ROBIN KNOW. SHE'LL GIVE YOU TIME + PLACE.

LOOKIN' FWD 2 SEEIN U THERE...

NTHN (+ REEV + ELI)

P.S. NO COSTUMES PLZ!"

"Liz?"

Somehow, the time between leaving her place and arriving to her destination had become a blur and she found herself sitting in a small lobby that lead to the studio and still looking at the note, which was written by the very person calling her name now, Nathan.