Chapter 16

Robin walked into the Chinese restaurant with River's arm around her waist. His touch was reassuring for her. Although they'd been going to that place together for the entire duration of their relationship and she loved the food and the times spent there, she still found it a bit eerie. Tonight, she couldn't tell if she was actually nervous, anxious or what. Nathan was back and there was an unavoidable moment she would have to face.

Nathan and Eli were already sitting down at a table, next to each other. Two cold Chinese beers awaited Robin and River, Eli was already drinking his, while Nathan was pouring himself a glass of soda from a small glass bottle.

Robin sat in front of Nathan, which made him look up briefly. The dimmed, red-tinted light made his green eyes look a strange, sort of orangey shade. The corner of his mouth curved to form a hint of a smile.

He didn't know how to act, either, and perhaps this wasn't the best occasion to meet right after that fallout.

But it had to happen, and it was about to happen.

"Careful there." Robin warned Nathan, calmly, as he kept pouring his drink. She didn't want him to spill his soda because he was clearly distracted.

She didn't really think about it, it was just something to say.

Something to break the ice.

"Nah." He shook his head, still with that half smile. "I'm an expert, remember? You just tilt the glass." And he did just that.

"Right." She cleared her throat. "You're right."

The air between them was so thick you could cut through it with a knife.

But Robin went into what she called survival mode. Raise voice, raise chin, act confident and cool... all the while, putting her hand on River's knee under the table.

"But, Coke?" She frowned. "Instead of your favorite Chinese beer?"

Nathan took a sip and looked up from his glass one more time.

"I quit drinking alcohol."

Ah. She smiled. He had stayed true to his word. A hint of pride tickled her insides.

"So!" Robin exclaimed and hit the table slightly, "What dragged you back here?"

Of course she already knew the reason, but she wanted to hear it from Nathan too.... And keep breaking the ice between them. Maybe return to, at least, a comfortable state.

"I dragged him back here." River spoke up, perhaps sensing Robin's intentions and wishing to help. Then he reached out for Nathan's hand from over the table. "I missed him too damn much."

"Awwwww." Nathan clicked his tongue playing along with the joke, and held River's hand briefly while he clutched his own chest with the other.

"Oh," Robin rolled her eyes. "For crying out loud."

"Listen," Nathan said, "California wasn't too bad... but when this guy called me I knew I was just looking for an excuse to leave."

"Really?" Robin asked, after sipping her beer. The joke had worked... she felt a little bit more at ease. Still, this was only small talk. "You prefer this to the sun, the beach, the surf, the girls, Hollywood, The Roxy?"

Eli raised his eyebrows. "Especially the girls."

"To either get into Hollywood or even The Roxy you need to sell your soul." Nathan claimed. "I wasn't willing. My soul is here."

Robin smiled, but was still reluctant to meet Nathan's eye.

"I mean the sun, the beach and the girls weren't half bad, but, you know, home is home." He continued. "Also, I can't surf to save my life."