Chapter 34

Robin and Andrea stood in the middle of a gallery, after the first tour around the place to check out Nathan's art. The room had cream colored walls and warm lighting, and all the paintings Nathan had chosen for the show were strategically placed.

The inauguration was a small event, invite only, but it was crowded nevertheless. Nathan's friends and family, the band and their families, a handful of art critics, experts, and a couple of journalists he chose.

It was all going great and Robin was beaming with pride after witnessing her friend's passion being fulfilled. Still, any opportunity to catch up with Andrea (especially after the most recent events) was not one to be wasted.

"...so, I don't know if it's just me overthinking but, I wonder if they actually want to do it?" Robin fiddled with the charm of her necklace. It was her favorite, one she wore on special occasions: a charm of a bird with a very delicate gold chain. It had been a gift from River. She paired it with a short-sleeved black dress, just below the knee.

Andrea pressed her lips and her mind immediately traveled to Johnny, who had chosen to stay home and visit the art show at a later date, with fewer people around. "If you're wondering because of John—"

"—not just because of Johnny." Robin cut Andrea off. In her head an idea lingered, that even though the guys in One Life Remaining appeared receptive, deep inside they didn't really want to engage in a retrospective project, being that the music remained their focus and especially if this project would involve promotion. She figured they had probably agreed just to please her.

"Listen," Andrea took two glasses of champagne from a passing by waiter's tray and offered one to Robin, "maybe looking back will be good."

"That's what I told River." Robin sighed.

"I know John's emotional and sensitive but he really does care about the group." Andrea smiled. "You have no idea. He adores them. He loves the songs they make together."

"We all—" Robin realized she had spoken a little too loud so she lowered her tone, "We all do."

"You know, Rob, after these breaks I think John has finally understood that some of those things he hates are just part of it." Andrea shrugged. "The press and the fans, the exposure, all that stuff."

Nobody knew Johnny better than Andrea. It was clear to everyone he showed a side of himself to her no one ever got to see, not even his own family. In the past, she had even served as a mediator and all of them were aware (including Johnny) that things would be much different – more difficult if Andrea was not around.

"The rest hate it too. It's contagious!" Robin joked. "But also... setting those things aside made them realize any current issues within the group were only up to themselves now."

Just as nobody knew Johnny better than Andrea, nobody knew the strange dynamics of that group better than the group itself.

"But you and Sandra have figured out a way to make it work for them..." Andrea reached out and grabbed Robin's arm gently, "and John in particular is so thankful for that."

"Are you not just saying that?" Robin smirked through her concern. "Why doesn't he tell us that? I wish he did. I don't know, I sometimes wonder if I love this group more than them. Or if I'm just too sensitive, my hormones are still all over the place." Her voice trailed off.

"Nah, we just love it differently." Andrea tried to comfort her friend. "From another perspective! It's like... me and my writing. Sure, I am proud of what I write but I will always be humble and self-conscious about it. I'll never appreciate it the same way a reader does, or my editor."