Chapter 10

What could Rick possibly be doing here? He doesn't even know where I live...

"What?" Robin chuckled at Nathan, refusing to believe it could be true. "Dude, you must be tripping balls..."

"I'm not." Nathan looked out the window once again. "He's here. I think he's buzzing your intercom."

Robin's expression suddenly turned blank and pale. Holding her breath, she got up from River's side and rushed to the window. Indeed, a tall, slim man with grey hair, dark sunglasses and an impeccable suit who could've been mistaken for a member of the Secret Service was downstairs. It was Rick, her stepfather. Her heart began pounding inside her chest and her hands turned ice cold.

"Okay. It is him." She turned to face Nathan and River, who was now standing behind her. "Well, he found out I live here. No problem, I'm not home, technically." She shrugged. "So he'll go away."

"Robin," River called her attention, softly. "I think it's time you face him, once and for all."

Robin frowned and looked away. What she dreaded most was about to happen, and it was only her own fault.

"He's right, Oli." Nathan agreed.

She took a deep breath. "Alright, alright, but... will you two come with me, please?"

This was something Robin had to do herself, but she wanted at least some support behind her. The three of them made their way out of the apartment and downstairs. As for the rest of the people present, the only one aware of what was going on was Jane, who was almost a little too amused.

"I can't miss this..." Jane laughed and ran to peep out the window.

"Miss what?" A clueless Julian asked, running his hand through his long, bleached hair. As usual, he was too focused on a lyric that refused to be born to be in the know of what was happening around him.

"Didn't you hear?" Jane replied. "Come see. I think the princess is about to be overthrown."

"What?"

For whatever reason, Jane was never too fond of Robin. To her, whoever joined the circle was just because the band, or more specifically, Julian, was about to take off. She didn't trust anyone, and particularly, not another girl who'd become so close so quickly.

But the truth was, although Jane would never admit it, that ever since Robin had found her place within their group, she felt threatened. She was the lady, the queen. There was no room for more.

***

"Nathaniel Harrison!" Rick exclaimed at the sight of Nathan coming out of the apartment, with Robin walking behind him, still afraid to let herself show.

"Mr. Morgan." Nathan replied.

"Well," Rick said, "I thought I had the wrong address, but here you are, young lady."

"Hi, Rick." Robin sighed. "Yes, I live here but I was at Nathan's place at the moment."

"Oh, I see. Not much different from back home." Rick smiled sarcastically. "At times I thought you had convinced the Harrisons to adopt you."

I wish they had.

"So, I wanted to wait until the open house," Rick continued, "But since we never got an invitation I decided to jump ahead. Also, I believe there was something you needed to tell me? No, wait... I got the news from the Faculty, while pretending I already knew."

"Rick, I'm so sorry. I..." Robin stuttered, "I wanted to tell you, but..."

"But what, you were too busy slacking and wasting my money?"