The Return of Will's Singing Voice

CHAPTER SUMMARY

Harry takes his first steps to expose Nico di Angelo.

BEGINNING NOTES

Chapter Rating: General Audiences

Content Warning: Cursing
Word Count: 2630

WHAT???? A MORNING CHAPTER???? I told you posting on Monday would work better ;)

And all the characters are owned by J.K. Rowling, or Rick Riordan.

____________________HARRY____________________

All morning, Harry focused on getting di Angelo to confess during Potions. He actually looked forward to the double period; it meant he had twice the time to crack the Slytherin.

"What are you going to do?" Ron asked as he, Harry, and Hermione hurried to the dungeons.

"Confront him," Harry answered immediately.

"What?!" Hermione exclaimed. "Harry, his father's a Death Eater. You can't just-- "

Hermione cut herself off as di Angelo rounded the corner with his Slytherin friends. Harry was ready to face him, but Ron grabbed his arm and pulled him through a doorway instead. He pressed his ear up to the wall, hoping to hear di Angelo's conversation.

"Why won't you tell us how you got that bruise on your stomach?" Zabini sounded pissed; this couldn't be the first time they'd discussed di Angelo's injuries.

"I told you, Blaise, you were seeing things. I don't have a bruise," di Angelo protested.

"I wasn't seeing things, Nico. I don't understand why you're lying."

"I'm not!"

"Then why are you getting so defensive?" A girl's voice that time, Hestia Carrow.

"I'm not lying, Hestia. Just drop it, okay?" Anger slipped into di Angelo's voice that time. Harry reached into his pocket, fingers curling around his wand. As much as he hated the Slytherins, if di Angelo hurt those students for asking the wrong questions...

"I'm not dropping it until you tell us how you hurt yourself." Carrow easily matched di Angelo's hostile tone.

"It's none of your business!" di Angelo shouted, momentarily losing control. Harry, Ron, and Hermione exchanged looks. He was hiding something, that was obvious.

"Whoa, Nico, um, okay..." Zabini said, startled.

Di Angelo took a deep breath, calming himself. "I'm sorry guys... just don't ask, okay? It's--complicated..."

Harry poked his head out of the door, drinking in the scene. Di Angelo's skin was even paler than usual, and his palms looked burnt. Carrow rubbed his arm in a sisterly kind of way, Zabini looking at him with concern.

"You can tell us anything, Nico," Carrow assured him, her voice softer now.

Di Angelo shook his head. "Not this. Please, drop it."

They entered the potions classroom, leaving Harry, Ron, and Hermione alone in the hallway. They left their hiding place, glancing around to make sure no one was coming.

"What did he mean?" Hermione asked in a nervous whisper.

"Only one way to find out," Harry replied, and stepped into the potions room.