Separation Anxiety

Ciel felt like he couldn't breathe, and he hadn't even been the one chasing Grell. He paced back and forth, slightly hyperventilating as he waited for the servant's return. He got a feeling of dread in the pit of his stomach when only Bard returned.

"What's happened? Where's Alexander?" Ciel demanded, stalking up to Bard accusingly. He knew it wasn't his fault, but he had to take it out on someone.

"The guy got away from us, but Finny and Mey-Rin are in pursuit as we speak. I'm to stay here with you and Tanaka to make sure things stay alright here; for all we know, Sebastian's nephew's kidnapping could be a distraction to get to you, young master," Bard responded seriously, looking down at the nobleman.

Ciel scoffed slightly, looking away as he knew Bard had a point. "Fine." He muttered.

Bard noticed Ciel's unusual mood but decided Tanaka would be better suited to talk to him when he saw the older butler approaching peacefully. He let Tanaka and Ciel talk alone, going into the kitchen to begin making plans for any situation.

"Young master, Alexander will be returned to us safely," Tanaka promised, a hand on Ciel's shoulder comfortingly.

"What? Of course he will, why are you even talking about it, Tanaka?" He brushed off the statement absently.

"Because I can see how worried you are, young master." Tanaka smiled warmly. "You truly care about the boy, don't you?"

"Don't be ridiculous, he's just a baby. Sebastian's nephew and nothing more." Ciel defended, crossing his arms and looking away.

"It's alright, young master. He obviously enjoys your company more than others, and you have grown fond of him as well. We'll see to it that he is returned safely to your arms." Tanaka laughed softly.

Ciel looked down, tensing slightly as he realized his vision was growing blurry. He felt something drip down his face and fall onto the floor, startled when he realized it was a tear. Raising his hand to his cheek, he further discovered that they were his own. Tanaka smiled gently, bending down to one knee to be more suited to Ciel's height.

"I don't know why-why I'm crying," Ciel stuttered confusedly as his breathing quickened slightly once more as the tears came. He felt stupid. He felt silly. But, most of all, he felt strangely hurt as he stumbled into Tanaka's arms, letting the butler comfort him as he had years ago, before the fire that wrecked the manor. When Ciel was a little kid himself, not an adult in a little kid's body. One thought came to Ciel's mind.

'I loathe you, you know that?'