Annoyance

"Cell! Cell! Cell! Cell!" Sebastian chanted repeatedly, giving an impatient bounce with every repetition of the navy-haired boy's name.

Ciel growled and kept his head down, focusing on his paperwork. Sebastian continued to chant his name, his tone gradually shifting from impatient to saddened as he sat on the floor of his playpen, quieting his chanting of the boy's name.

Ciel sighed in relief, assuming he'd given up his annoying ramblings until he realized that the demon was a bit too quiet. Looking up, he saw Sebastian sitting inside the playpen with his head down, sobbing silently as he wiped his eyes with tiny pale hands.

Ciel's face creased with concern. He never intended to hurt Sebastian that badly... No. No. He was not soft, and he would not trifle himself with the feelings of a demon meant to consume his soul one day. What should he care if the child wailed and cried all day?

He returned to his paperwork uncaringly as Sebastian's quiet sobbing turned into distraught crying and he stood back up to the side of his playpen.

"Cell! Cell!" He lamented quietly, reaching his small hand towards the navy-haired boy as tears fell down his soft face. "Cell! 'Mere!"

Ciel still tried to ignore Sebastian, although each time his small voice cracked when calling so desperately for him his heart ached and his legs urged him to rush over and comfort the baby. No. He wasn't weak, and he wouldn't let the demon fool him.

Sebastian's cries become more and more desperate until he had stopped calling Ciel's name, simply continuing to sob as he sat back down. Eventually, Sebastian's wails died down until he was quiet again, face wet with tearstains from how he'd cried.

Ciel was fighting himself to stay in his chair and finish his work.

About an hour or so later, Ciel stretched as he finished the last paper. Not a word or sound had come from Sebastian after his brief meltdown, or as Ciel would like to frame it, his 'tantrum'. He stood from his chair and walked over to the playpen, hefting the boy into his arms once more.

Sebastian held loosely to Ciel's shirt to stabilize himself, although he didn't seem to squeal or nuzzle up to him like before. Ciel felt a strange sense of hurt, of regret. No. This is what he'd wanted.

He went out into the garden, sitting beneath the same tree he had a few days ago, placing Sebastian in the grass once more as he did so, listening to the same birdsong and looking at the same beautiful garden, but Sebastian did not laugh at the bugs whizzing by.

Ciel watched Sebastian carefully as he remained still on the dirt, quietly picking blades of grass one by one to have something to do. He couldn't help but feel that same sense of empty and bitter regret stinging him like a thorn in his heart. Was this really what he'd wanted...?

Yes. This is what he'd wanted. Ciel's gaze hardened as he forced himself to look ahead, crossing his arms silently.

A calm breeze drifted through the garden.