Unpredicted turns

~Chapter 17~

Leon looked at himself from a fogged glass. "That was a good fucken makeup artist," he commented at his reflection fingers running just over, not yet touching, but over fake age lines.

He definitely looked his "age" now. The contacts mostly hide his violet eyes as well. He just had to hope the security won't act up once he crossed it.

Pulling from the dirty glass, Leon finally walked before the front doors, eyes squinted at the entirety of this place. So much corruption. So many lies. Yet it was the only true place beside the BSAA to fight against bioterrorism.

He wondered, vaguely. Will everything fall apart when he leaves? Then again. Maybe, at some point, when he learns how to control his new abilities. When and if things go wrong. He could put his own virus to better use?

Someone is walking out now.

Attention now towards the opening doors, he anxiously waited to see who it was, immediately releasing his held back breath of fear at the sight of a brunette bun and glasses.

Leon, "Hannigan," he sighed in relief.

The woman perked up at his voice, smiling at the sight of her long-term friend. Her partner in almost all jobs. "Nice coverup. Can't tell the difference."

Leon smiled, nodding at her as he crossed his arms. "That is the point. So, you ready to do this?"

The woman's expression becomes tired. "As ready as I'll ever be. I readied my own transfer to the BSAA after this. Already got accepted. I know once I get you out I have to run out too."

Kennedy's face filled with guilt. "I'm sorry. I didn't want this to happen... I just-"

Hannigan, "it's fine Leon. It's about time we both got out. It hasn't been the same. Since Adam."

Both become solemn.

A long moment of silence passed between the two before Hannigan pressed her back on the still open door for Kennedy. "Let's wrap this up."

Nodding again, Leon said nothing as he walked to her, grabbing the door and holding it at the top corner rather than walking ahead. "Ladies first."

Hannigan, "such a gentleman," she rolled her eyes, walking in.

They made their way down the halls calmly, both looking around, remembering everything as it was. Both would leave today, they would be done here.

"14 years. It's a lot to take now that we are suddenly here... how long have you been here?" Leon questioned. False blue locking onto everything in sight, his gaze sometimes meeting others he knew and offering a small acknowledging nod.

Hannigan didn't alter her brisk walk, the click of her heels never changing their rhythmic click. "16 years. I started around 25. We got paired up two years after."

Leon chuckled. "No wonder you were so stiff at first. You had two years of dealing with other people before me."

"You were the reason I became stiff. Out of everyone I had before you. They caused me fewer headaches." Hannigan sassed him, her walk turning into a more upset sway.