xl → the end.

𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚜 𝚋𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎𝚜. 𝚘𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚠𝚎'𝚟𝚎 𝚋𝚘𝚝𝚑 𝚜𝚊𝚒𝚍 𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚐𝚘𝚘𝚍𝚋𝚢𝚎𝚜. 𝚕𝚎𝚝'𝚜 𝚓𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚕𝚎𝚝 𝚒𝚝 𝚐𝚘, 𝚕𝚎𝚝 𝚖𝚎 𝚕𝚎𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚐𝚘.

FINN'S POV

✰✰✰

"I FUCKING KNEW THIS WAS GONNA HAPPEN," y/n says, mumbling, "i am so sorry."

obeying the officer's instructions, we all get out of the car, and then are all held back by other officers. one of the officers comes up really close to y/n's face, and i can tell he is tormenting her. 

"your name y/n l/n?" he says, dryly. 

she looks at me before answering, "y-yessir." 

"and you know we've been looking for you?" he asks and y/n nods, "then you'll know—"

"this is unnecessary! she's 16 for god's sake! she's mature enough to make her own decisions. and if her decision is to leave her mom, then let her make it!" i protest.

the officer stares at me, "and who are you?"

"finn wolfhard— her boyfriend." i say, and the officer shakes his head.

"i'll bet you're the reason she's rebelling and all. boys never learn their lessons do they?"

i think it's awfully ironic, what he said, but i don't say it out loud.

"excuse me?" y/n's small voice is surprisingly large, "not only was that offensive to him, but i'll have you know that i was the one that decided to run away. not him. you all think girls aren't capable of doing things guys do. you poor, unintelligent souls have no idea what you're up against."

"i beg your pardon? do you know who you're speaking to young lady?"

"yes. and i hope you know who you're speaking to. if you don't, i'll make it clear."

"i will not accept this language from you," the officer says, "you're wasting your breath."

"ok, but your's stinks." she snaps and i try not to laugh. 

the officer who i have just noticed his name-tag says "Jones", ignores y/n's last statement and stares at her, "if i need to keep you here all day, i will if it means you'll go back home to your mother."

"quit calling her that. i will not call her my mother, so i'd appreciate it if you wouldn't."

"you know what i'd appreciate?" jones questions, "if you listened to me and came with me without arguing."

"now, i can't do that." she answers, and just like that, pulls a gun out of her back pocket—the very same handgun that was found in the creaky old drawer in our hotel room.

the officer yells something inaudible, and more officers run and form a complete circle around her.

[made this past tense so it was more dRaMaTiC lol here we go]

y/n's beautiful body stood so fragile surrounded by men with guns, although her face looked nothing like she felt. two men, much taller and stronger than me held me back but i still tried to kick and shove my way past them.

it wasn't something i wanted to do. i needed to help her.

"shoot me, you know you've waited so long. if you wanna know why, i was the person that poisoned the guy at the airport!" she screamed. new tears fell down my cheeks, hoping that with them I could grow an idea, a solution, anything.

but all people, men and women, of all races and religion, wise and dumb, know that nothing can grow without sunshine,

yet there she was, so far her golden rays couldn't reach me anymore.

"just shoot me, you pussies," she whispered, "why are you waiting so long?" a salty raindrop fell to her cheek, then ran down her face to her lips, "i-i am not ever going back home with her! " she screamed, "you all really think she loves me, don't you? all she is-- is a heartless human being that didn't care that I ran away! why are you trying so hard to get something back that was never really your's to begin with? i won't listen to you, so just kill me now."

she certainly couldn't know what death means, she didn't even know what life means. she's spent all of it finding the beauty in everybody but herself.

she doesn't deserve to die, i thought. she is too kind and loving. although, i'm probably the only one here who doesn't fear her presence.

a bang filled ears for miles.

she fell to the ground in what seemed like slow motion, and every officer shrugged at one another like they had no idea who'd done it.

the men only let me go when it was too late. i took my cue and run to her quickly because i didn't know what would be taken first- her body or her life.

"no. no, no, no, no. just breathe, baby. it's okay. none of this is your fault. there are bad people in this world and you are not one of them." i caressed her face, "i'm right here, sunshine, nobody will hurt you. you're not going anywhere." my crying picked up it's pace, and soon enough, my own tears fell onto her forehead. she looked weak and tired, but i wouldn't let her fall asleep, for now it was only noon, and there were still so many more hours to see.

"it's okay," she mustered, "i deserved this."

"no, you didn't deserve any of this! you only deserve happiness. i should have protected you. i'm a fucking idiot!"

"no, no, you're not. i am. i-i was the one that killed that man- i'm a murderer."

"you don't under-" i started.

i got pulled away by the police, and the paramedics carried her to the stretcher. i screamed for her louder than the sirens and my throat started to hurt as my voice became progressively weaker and less powerful.

"after all, life is just killing time until it eventually kills us, my love." 

~

the end.

nine hundred and seventy-nine words.