Behind the Scenes - Part I

C/N POV

C/N is a man of many talents. One of the things he can't though, is sing. Sure he can sing. Kind of. But honestly, no, he sounded strange when he sang. In the upcoming play that he was in however, was a sponsored play, where most of the songs were all in Korean. There was one scene were a girl was supposed to sing a song on a bench under cherry blossoms, where the boy main character was watching her from afar. Walking down the crowded hall, he walked to the school bulletin board, and stared up at the casting list, which read:

Afar Cast:

Lucas Yoon: C/N L/N

Arabella Roberts: (Rival's Name)

(Understudy, Y/N L/N)

Narrator: Aria Skye

Xavier Blink: C/B/F/N C/B/F/L/N

Kim Park: (Random Girl's Name)

Other - Non-Main Cast Undecided:

Singers: Undefined.

Stage Crew...

C/N stared at the casting list. Main role again. He stared at the female role and tilted his head. He had honestly thought that Y/N L/N had done a better job then (Rival's Name) during the audition, but that was just his opinion.

----------

After school, C/N walked down to the auditorium. The audience seats were packed with rowdy kids that had been cast, who all were talking and laughing. The director, Ms. Madoka, was chewing the tip of her pen, looking very worried.

C/N walked up to his best friend, confused. "Why hasn't rehearsal started?"

C/B/F/N shrugged. "Ms.Madoka told us to just hang out. She said something about choosing the people to sing? Apparently she needed the main cast to sing, but like... you and (Rival's Name) aren't the best singers."

"Thanks."

"You're welcome."

C/N rolled his eyes and dropped his bag on the table. He looked around and saw Y/N, who was just sitting down in the corner of the auditorium. She was crouched over a book, reading with a glint of excitement in her eyes.

He assumed she was here because she was the understudy, but she was here because she was also an extra in the play.

The theater teacher sighed and closed the binder. "Alright! Ladies and Gentlemen, settle into your seats. I'm going to hand out the scripts, and we will start with a dry reading, and attempt some blocking for the scenes. Will C/N and C/B/F/N come up to the stage?"

(A/N: Blocking is stage movement, dry reading is literally just reading it)

"Lucas, just go talk to her."

"What if she thinks I'm weird!"

"You can at least say you've tried."

"Thanks Xavier. You are helping my self esteem go through the roof."

"You're welcome. Go do it."

Y/N POV

Y/N stared up at the stage. C/B/F/N was standing next to C/N, trying to figure out the movement for the beginning of the play, in the classroom scene. C/N was a fantastic actor, and Y/N loved watching his performances. And now, even though it was just a read-through, C/N was fantastic. He acted it out like it was the actual performance.

"Come on!" C/B/F/N yelled, reading his line.

"C/B/F/N, say that line with an annoyance, not desperation. Alright?" Ms. Madoka said.

"Alright."

The scenes all seemed to process smoothly, till the scene Y/N was in. Y/N was playing as a small role was an admirer of the hero character, whom admired the heroine. She was playing as a shy, quiet geek type-character, which was pretty simple for her, since that was really the situation in her life. She was quiet and was a geek, around others. While near her friends, she was happy and bubbly, but other people made her nervous.

"Y/N, please go up onto the stage." Ms. Madoka said, glancing at the clock. "We have about twenty minutes left, so we can work on some of the emotion.

The particular scene was about Y/N slipping a letter into the hero's locker, and Lucas, the hero, catches her putting the letter in. Y/N went up to the stage and mimed slipping a the letter into the locker. C/N walked up behind her, an exasperated look on his face.

(Its the play from her)

"What are you doing at my locker?"

"Oh! I... uh... Well..."

"What is that?"

"Uh.. well... That's the surprise..?"

"Surprise?"

"I... uhh..."

"Y/N, stuttering works, but not too much." Ms.Madoka said, pointing her pen at Y/N.

"Yeah.. okay.." Y/N nodded.

The scraping of a chair indicated Ms.Madoka had left the room.

In the silence that followed Ms. Madoka's leave, everybody could hear (Rival's Name) whisper, "No wonder she got the extra part."

Y/N could feel her eyes beginning to water, but she bit her lip and opened her mouth to continue, but when she did, (Rivals Name) made another comment. "They have terrible chemistry. Why is she even the understudy?"

Y/N's eyes began to overflow with tears. Everybody except C/N and C/B/F/N were whispering and giggling at her, and so many eyes were on her. Her eyes full of paranoia, she dashed out of the auditorium.

"She can't even handle a extra part."

--------------------------------------

C/N POV

C/N watched Y/N race out of the auditorium, sobbing. He was tempted to run after her, but he stopped himself. He didn't want her to think he pitied her, or thought about her in a wrong way. He bit his lower lip in frustration. (Rival's Name) and all her groupies were giggling and whispering about her, and he couldn't do anything about it.

He was scared that people would get the wrong idea, and partially, he was scared of her completely rejecting his friendship, and him ending up friendless from people abandoning him because they thought he was a nerd. Honestly, it was complicated for him to think about anything. When the clock hit 6:00, most of the cast left, except for C/N, (Rival's Name) and all of her groupies.

She sashayed toward him, twirling her hair flirtatiously. "So... What are you gonna do after?"

C/N rubbed the back of his neck. "Uh... Go... Home..?"

"Oh you're so funny!"

C/N looked to the clock. "I.. gotta go."

"See you tomorrow!" She said, flipping her hair and winking.

C/N walked out of the doorway and bumped into Y/N.

"Ah! Oh.. S..sorry." She mumbled, looking down at her feet.

"No problem."

She slipped past him and grabbed her backpack from the corner of the room. After grabbing her backpack, she hurried down the hallway and out the school doors.

C/N watched her run away. He wondered if that girl would ever talk to him without stuttering.

Happy Halloween 🎃